Thread: Routing HDPE

Routing HDPE

How well does HDPE route? I'm thinking of using it for a sign.

Thanks
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

Its very messy - will shower you with rice without good dust collection and a good shoe. It machines well with good sharp bits. You can see steps in your sides with spiral straight bits. Pocketing thin can cause bending/flexing issues. Describe your sign more to us.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I wouldn't use it. There are many sign materials out there that are used in buildings across the globe every day.

I agree with Mike, what's the application that you feel HDPE is the best solution for? Because I can't think of 1 application that it would be the best solution for.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have cut some signs out of it and they cut really good. You just need the proper bit

It's just a basic small (11" x 7") sign, with engraved 3/4" letters .020 deep. Sign is a rectangle with routed edges and scalloped corners. Sign will be painted base color with fill color in letters. My inexperience prompted question. I considered HDPE since the signs the customer is trying to replace were made with HDPE with vinyl lettering, made by a local vinyl shop. They like the signs, they just don't like that people peel off the vinyl. My other choice was acrylic, I'm just having a hard time figuring out what spindle speed and feed rate to use with either material. My original suggestion was Rowmark Laser engraved plastics (Textures). The didn't like that it was so thin, they want 1/2" thick. I suggested the Rowmark adhered to an 1/2" HDPE back board, but for some reason they don't want anything adhered. They want a solid sign that has to be 1/2" thick. So now I'm back to a CNC only solution, unless I use the CNC to just do the edges and the Laser for the engraving.
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

Try color core material Kingcolor has many different color combinations. I don't know how good paint will adhere to HDPE.

I would agree as well. There is so many better choices (Corian is my first choice) for signs that HDPE would not even be up there. HDPE is good for making templates or hold downs or other one off shop tools. I may use it this weekend as a window insert for my Laser fume extraction.
    - Shane

Shenhui SH-G350 60W, Joe's 4x4 CNC, V-Carve, Corel, Mach3, Laserwork and tons of woodworking tools!