Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Undecided Potential New Turner Needs Some Advice

Undecided Potential New Turner Needs Some Advice

I joined this board about 2 years ago and have been a lurker since then mostly because I've been searching for a new hobby and have been undecided on what it will be.

I'm basically a DIY kind of guy and like making and fixing things. I have visited this site often and seem to be developing a strong interest in "turning". I haven't invested in a lathe or turning tools because I'm still on the fence but have visited the archives to gain knowledge about tool ratings and recommendations along with the types of things people are making on wood lathes. I must say there are numerous creative and beautiful works of art on this site which strengthens my interest level. But before I make the leap I have a few questions that hopefully folks on this forum can answer which will help my decision.

Since I'm not sure if I will like turning and because I don't have unlimited financial resources to devote to it, I want to be cautious about what equipment to purchase. Here are some of my questions:

1. It seems that Grizzly equipment is the best value but, from what I've read, resale of it compared to Delta or Jet should I decide to upgrade or get out of turning, is much worse. Is this really true with Grizzly's current models?

2. I think I would want a lathe with at least a 12" swing with variable speeds going as low as 250 rpm or less based on what I've read. Does this make sense?

3. I currently have a decent older 10" craftsman contractor type tablesaw, a Dewalt 12" compound miter saw and a Grizzly 12 speed 14" floor drill press.

What other ancillary equipment in addition to a lathe should I be prepared to purchase in order to realistically support turning and make it as enjoyable as possible? (ie..bandsaw, jointer, planer)

4. If my lathe budget was say $1500-1600, am I better off purchasing a new Delta 46-460 lathe (it seems to be well regarded, meets my minimum requirements stated above and appears to be easy to sell ) or a larger lathe, possibly used, that I may not outgrow if I develop a true passion for turning?

I would appreciate any and all comments, suggestions and recommendations.

Thank you

Dom

Welcome! You'll get lots of advice here.... A 1500 buck budget is a pretty good budget, and the Delta is a pretty good lathe. I've turned on it and think it's an outstanding buy. (And I have 2 Jets.) You being a lurker, probably already know you need the extra bucks for the starter tools and a good chuck. I'd get a 1/2 inch (good) bowl gouge and spindle gouge and maybe a skew if you're gutsy.That 's all you need to start. Yeah, right.....

My personal opinion is to stick to the name brand lathes. One item that you will need to purchase very early on is a sharpening system. A slow speed grinder with 8" wheels and the Wolverine system is quite popular and relatively inexpensive.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

Dom, I have the delta 46-460 and love it! It meets my needs and wants as I enjoy making the smaller size items. I would suggest you invest in the lathe that will meet your ideal needs. Cheaper to get what you want than horse trade up. It is addicting, so your start up cash will get you in the game, unless you go for the bigger machine.
    my .02,
    michael

Join a club, you'll be glad you did.

Welcome to the Creek!
    "Dear God, my prayer for 2018 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last four years."

Dom, I too have the 46-460 for four years now. It does all the things I wis to do. If you decide you wish a bigger lathe at a later date they are easy to sell.
    The second most important decision is a grinder system. I suggest you look a the Woodcraft 8" slow speed coupled with a Oneway sharpening gig. And lastly some Doug Thompson skews and gouges. Find an AAW chapter and find a mentor.

Welcome to the vortex

Dom,

Lat year I put together a suggested start-up turning package for a friend of mine who had a $1200 budget. It is in Excel and might be useful to you, but I cannot attach it here because of the file size and the number of characters. If you would like, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of the file. He ended up buying pretty close to what I suggested and has been turning like crazy since!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

The club advice is the best you'll get. See what opportunities turning offers and arrange your purchase around that. There are so many facets, your needs may be or not be met without seeing all sides of the spectrum. Just to be clear...lathe work is just short of infinite...never limit your possibilities!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

All great advise. The only thing i havn't seen posted yet,is a chainsaw. With a chainsaw you don't need( right a way) a band saw. you can get all the free wood you need and get them close to round.

agree with the chainsaw, you need face sheild, and dust protection also. safety first, turn native free woods for 1st 100 forms

Blog Entries
    Run Far! Run Fast! The cost of the lathe is a mere pittance compared to what the vortex will suck out of your bank account . All kidding aside; have fun!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Find a club in your area. Let the members know you've never turned before and want to try. See if one will let you try turning on their lathe before committing any money to it.
    If turning is for you, then join the club and get your equipment.
    Rodney

Dom go to the AAW web site and search for a local turning club in your area also join the AAW the magizine is worth the fee. . Go to there meeting and see some other shops to see what they use. A club is a great way to get help,instruction and a mentor.

Lots of options on lathes. All of the advice given is good. You will need a Bandsaw eventually unless you buy all of your blanks which is not cost effective. You could probably do fine with a 14" and a 1 HP motor. You may want to add a riser to the BS but with a 12" lathe you could probably get along without it. I am doing fine with a Poulon refurb chainsaw. Joining a club and visiting with other turners and seeing what they do and their tools will pay big dividends.
    God is great and life is good!

Dom,

Wood Magazine had an article several years ago about getting starting in turning for what I r emember was under $1000. Regardless of total dollars, the cost of the lathe is only roughly half of the needed cost when you include the sharpening, gouges, chuck(s), faceplate(s), sanding and buffing, etc. A good sharpening system is critical to getting a good start in turning and works with a cheap or expensive lathe. You can limit the number of gouges at first, but will be adding quickly for special tasks. Good sandpaper and sanding system will also help get you started better.

The biggest question in my mind is what do you want to turn. Larger bowls and hollow forms require a larger lathe. A 12" limit on the Delta 46-460 covers a lot of applications and would make a good choice if your space and desires work with its limit.

A decent bandsaw (14" minimum) is handy and a chainsaw if you work with local "free" wood. The end of the list is never reached. I do not use my planer or jointer with my lathe, but then I do not do segment work, and there they would be helpful.