Thread: Domino tenon size question

Domino tenon size question

I recently acquired a Festool Domino (thanks, Richard Poitras). It comes with the standard D5 cutter which uses the 5mm tenons.

There are 4 other sizes available for cutters and tenons. I cannot find a reference that says when each might be appropriate in a project. Is there a rule of thumb? The D5 tenons seem too small for anything north of a light use table. What should I use for say a chair, or a larger, dining room table? My instinct says the D10.

What do you use most?

Thanks.

Prashun
    I have had my Domino for about 5 years now and would not trade it for any thing. I use mostly 10mm tenons in all my work. Having said that, I use the 5mm tenons in drawer box construction, very fast way to pin sides to front and backs. I also will use the 10mm cutter and over lap mortises for a larger tenon, like a table apron (you will need to make this tenon). Tom

Prashun, I received my Domino last week and I bought the Domino assortment and cutters along with it. All I've done with it so far is a panel glue up and attaching a bottom shelf on a coffee table. I was a little hesitant to buy the whole assortment feeling I'd use just a couple sizes. However given how accurate and fast it allowed me to do what I've done so far I'm really buying into what many others have said, limitless possibilities. I can see using all the sizes now but if I had to pick only one I would imagine the 8's would be the most used. I'm going to start using metric (because of the Domino) and 20mm seems to be a common dimension comparable to 3/4 and 8 seemed to be the most used Domino. That said, there are a number of opinions so I'll have all sizes to experiment with.

I have had mine for 4+ years - 5mm is by far the most used size. I found it really works well for cabinet case construction - easier, faster, more accurate to build strong square cases than dado's, rabbits or lock joint miters. I got the complete set of cutters when I got mine and changing a cutter takes less time than changing a router bit; so it is easy to use whatever size is the best choice for whatever you are doing. The biggest discovery was how easy it is to put a loose tenon anywhere with complete accuracy - in the middle of a cabinet case back to connect to an internal wall - it is faster to put in 4 or 5 domino's than it used to take me to layout a dado much less cut it.

As a general rule: 5mm for 3/4" stock - wood or ply, 6mm for cabinet door or face frame parts (mine are usually in the 7/8" thickness range), 8mm for 5/4 wood panels and some structural stuff, 10mm for room size doors or thick panels applications (table tops for example). Most often I use dominos for alignment more than for added structural integrity. But when I need increased hold or structure I sometime domino from both faces or use 2 depth settings.
    Again, general rules and so subject to change without notice .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

6. The Supplemental manual discusses this. You can find all of them here: http://www.waterfront-woods.com/festool/

I would think you would the size tenon like you would cutting one. 1/2 the thickness of the wood you're using.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 11-08-2012 at 4:32 PM.

I would say it’s really depends on what kind of projects you are making the most of and how thick of materials you generally are using. Some projects only need light or alignment type fastening and some more of a structural element. If you are looking to just get a few sizes and not get all of them remember one thing if you go with the smaller to medium sizes and need strength and you have the room just double up the joint. Or go the larger size and smaller size and just double up the smaller size when needed. But I think in general if you can swing it is to just get them all as I fell you will use them.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    I would think you would the size tenon like you would cutting one. 1/2 the thickness of the wood you're using.
    Festool recommends no more than 1/3 the thickness of the wood for a single tenon. For stacked tenons, they recommend at least 1 domino thickness between tenons and to the edge of the wood. For side by side tenons they recommend at least 2 tenon thicknesses of spacing.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 11-08-2012 at 4:31 PM.

You're right on that Greg. I meant 1/3 instead of 1/2
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 11-08-2012 at 4:31 PM.

I use the 1/3 rule for sizing M/T joints...as Jay and Greg stated above.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

And speaking of the domino I wonder if it can do an angled joint. I want to join a rail (1X2)at a 45 deg angle to a 2X2 post.
    Will the domino do this joint?

Thanks
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 11-08-2012 at 5:56 PM.

Sort of unrelated but just FYI, in case you're looking to buy additional cutters, CMT makes them. I can't tell them from the Festools, and it takes a bit of the ouch out of acquiring additional sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post
    And speaking of the domino I wonder if it can do an angled joint. I want to join a rail (1X2)at a 45 deg angle to a 2X2 post.
    Will the domino do this joint?

Thanks
    Yes, most certainly. The fence is adjustable much like a typical biscuit cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Sort of unrelated but just FYI, in case you're looking to buy additional cutters, CMT makes them. I can't tell them from the Festools, and it takes a bit of the ouch out of acquiring additional sizes.
    Well that is good to know! I'll have to look 'em up next time.