Thread: Teak question

Teak question

I have a well cared for dining room set of solid teak furniture. I wanted to spruce it up for the Holiday. I was thinking Murphy's Oil Soap and then wipe on teak oil. What do you suggest?

Do these chairs already have a finish, danish oil or some hard coat? If bare wood I would skip the Murphy's Oil soap and simply wash down with 3M finishing pad with alcohol. No reason to go nuts sanding just give them a buffing with the damp pad. Then a few coats of teak oil or regular Watco would be great. This is a simple and effective way to go. More complex finishes will require much more time and effort. If they are already finished with a varnish or urethane type hard finish I would just clean them with Murphy's and call it good.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Sam, I am not sure how they are finished. I will go home and look tonight. The set is from the 60's and is in fine shape. Just wanted to spruce up a bit. If there is no hard finish, and I do use the teak oil, How long does it take to cure and not smell? We are having a housefull for Thanksgiving.
    Thanks

Bye the way, It is a full set. Side board, chairs and large table.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ginsberg View Post
    Sam, I am not sure how they are finished. I will go home and look tonight. The set is from the 60's and is in fine shape. Just wanted to spruce up a bit. If there is no hard finish, and I do use the teak oil, How long does it take to cure and not smell? We are having a housefull for Thanksgiving.
    Thanks
    I'm guessing that these are "Danish Modern" and likely finished with oil. You can re-oil all in one day and likely will only need one coat. Do one chair and go on to the next one or two, then come back and wipe off any residual oil off the first chair etc. until you have wiped on and wiped off all the pieces. The smell may need 3 or 4 days to dissipate, but will be ready to use overnight. I would not do this in the house unless you are doing only one piece at a time. Best done in a warm garage or shop. Again - no need to use a "teak" oil unless you prefer. Just regular Watco oil is fine. Watco actually makes a "teak" oil. I don't know the difference except to suspect that it is more appropriate as an exterior finish.

You might just try cleaning a chair or some legs with the Murphy's and find that you are satisfied. I suggested not doing that because I think if you are intent on re-oiling the residual film from the Murphy's would prevent another oil coat to penetrate properly. Still maybe a good cleaning is all they need.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 11-07-2012 at 2:26 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Watco Teak oil = (roughly) Danish Oil + uv inhibiters.

If there is no finish or only an oil or oil/varnish on the furniture, then I suggest wiping down with a mineral spirits (not alcohol) dampened cloth; let it dry, then polish on a very thin coat of the danish or teak oil. Take a quarter sized bit in the corner of a rag and rub it on and in and buff it until there's very little sheen left. This will be enough to spruce up the finish and will be faster drying/curing.

If the finish is something different like a varnish or lacquer, then perhaps all you need is an MS wipedown and waxing.

Thank you for the assistance