Thread: Long time no post- Walnut Cake Platter

Long time no post- Walnut Cake Platter

I haven't been posting as much lately, I'm still lurking around. I just didn't get to do much of any turning this past summer, so I had nothing to show off. I have been working on a dining room table which has taken up what little shop time I had.

But now it's cold, the grass doesn't need mowing, and I'm able to get back into my shop. I started with a walnut cake platter. I made a few last year, some of my first projects on the lathe, based off a Wood magazine article. I ended up giving those away as gifts, so I still needed to make one for the wife. I used the same basic idea, but came up with my own design for the base and spindle, although the spindle is pretty similar. I used walnut from the drops of the slabs used for the table, so it's the same tree as our table, something hopefully the kids will appreciate down the road.

Looking at it without the glass dome, I think the base feels a bit 'heavy' since the top isn't quite 3/4" thick (by the time I resawed a chunk of wood, planed, joined, and planed again the platter is ~5/8 thick) but with a glass dome it feels more balanced. Critiques appreciated on the overall shape/design. Finish: 2 coats natural danish oil. 4 coats shellac sealer. 5 coats of General WTF. Buffed with Behlen's buffer's polish. It's a bit harder sheen than I typically like, but the wife likes the high gloss look, and I figured poly would hold up better over time with food being eaten off of it. I did get a near-mirror like finish on top by sanding that section to 2000 grit before the final coat.

Thanks for looking.

Where did I put that?

Oh yea, the overall shape of the spindle is similar to the legs on the dining room table... has anyone else noticed painfully slow forums today?
    Where did I put that?

Nice work Rob! The bookmatched top is a very nice touch.

Looks good Rob. A profile shot taken from further away that shows the full thickness of the top and bottom might help a bit on making very subjective comments on the overall form. Would also be very interesting to see how it looks with the lid in place. In some of the pictures the base appears a little large/heavy, but you probably don't want to dump your cake when you are cutting it either!

Good points. I realized that after I posted I probably need some full profile pics. I'll get some more pics up tomorrow.

I think the design looks good. I like the book matched top. The spindle looks good, and if it mimics the table legs all the better. Should look great on the table, sure to become an heirloom.

Side view (iPad photos, not top quality)

With Dome:

With the original design, I was starting with a slab 2.25 thick, so I was hoping to get closer to 3/4-7/8 after resawing and joining the top, but after I resawed the bookmatch for the top the pieces went wonky on me and took quite a bit of flattening and it's now 11/16, so it ended up being a bit thinner than I had planned on. The base and spindle were already done, it is what it is. With the glass on it I think the overall balance is better. Thoughts?
    Where did I put that?

That is a beauty. I guess I better get going as my wife saw the pic's and now wants one. lol
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I really like this, very nice. I bet it looks great on the table, and will look even better with a cake on it.

"I really like this, very nice. I bet it looks great on the table, and will look even better with a cake on it."

I think it would look better with half a cake on it.

Nice piece Rob. I'm with Bernie. My wife wants one as well. See what you started.....
    Just as I was getting used to yesterday, along came today....

I told my wife, I make the platter, she makes the cake

This is a beautiful cake holder. The proportions look fine especially when the cover is on it.

Nice Job!