Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The wheels have been turning.......I am soliciting opinions.......

The wheels have been turning.......I am soliciting opinions.......

I have been thinking about how having to setup and break down a chuck really cuts down on production time with a run of turnings that sometimes get requested like ornaments........when you have to break down and then do a roof or for boxes when you have to a lid.

I have been thinking about getting a midi lathe as a second lathe....... I presently do not have room for another full size. Being as I use 1.25 inch chuck inserts on my current lathe, and my older lathe which has been turned into scrap metal a couple years ago, had 1x8 tpi threads and I have an adaptor for the 1.25x8 that will reduce to the 1x8 I think I am covered for compatibility.

Now in your opinion what lathe would be the way to go? I thought it would be the Delta 46-460 because I liked its features for the money, but as of late I have heard numbers of issues with them.......and Delta service and parts seem to be less than stellar at present.......I guess they are still trying to work out the company being sold by Black and Decker [at least that is what I heard from a dealer]

Any thoughts you might have on a good midi at a reasonable price would be appreciated.......thanks!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

3520B isn't 3520B always the answer? Just kidding. Carry on.

You don't need a second lathe Roger. (second lathes are always nice) just a bunch of chucks. Set all the chucks up the same and make multiple pieces, just do the same operation for every single one of them then change over the lathe for the next operation, go through all the pieces doing that operation, rinse and repeat until finished. The only resetting you have do during this is swapping pieces by screwing their chuck on and away you go. It's a simple strategy to minimize change overs etc. You can work as many pieces at the same time as you want, they can even all be different This is how I have started working. (It's something to consider)
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Roger, I have a Jet mini in my garage next to the PM 3520 and I often work from one to the next, particularly when doing small pieces that go on the larger one on the PM. It is super quick to switch to a different size chuck, etc. Very handy indeed. Phil

Roger, I agree with Rick - more chucks! Possibly cheaper than a new lathe, and for me, it would seem easier than switching between two lathes that will "feel" different. I have 6 chucks, three of which have 50mm jaws installed. I often have those three or more in use.

We have two of the 46-460s----- yup getting over the controller troubles is a pain but not really a big deal. My wife's 2 year old Delta is still stock--- I have a new controller ready to slap on it but so far we are good. The biggest downfall is dust is a open DC controller---- not real smart.
    The Delta's run a whole bunch more than my 4224----- they are hard to beat.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    You don't need a second lathe Roger. (second lathes are always nice) just a bunch of chucks. Set all the chucks up the same and make multiple pieces, just do the same operation for every single one of them then change over the lathe for the next operation, go through all the pieces doing that operation, rinse and repeat until finished. (It's something to consider)
    Trust me Rick........I thought about all that.........called batch turning.......turn a number of one piece, switch, repeat, etc. Having one part of a project on one lathe and the other on another is surely appealing......

If my local vendor still has one of those 46-460's in stock.......I may come home with one today! Quick.....somebody stop him before he goes off the deep end! I may need an intervention!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Roger, I agree with Rick - more chucks! Possibly cheaper than a new lathe, and for me, it would seem easier than switching between two lathes that will "feel" different. I have 6 chucks, three of which have 50mm jaws installed. I often have those three or more in use.
    Uh.......John.........another chuck is the next order of business.......I am debating between the G3 and another SN2....if I get the Delta......I guess it will be the G3.......did you use a SN2 on your Delta when you had it?

I tend to go with more chucks too. I kept my mini (Jet 1220) when I bought my 1642. I use it for occasional teaching but little else thoug it is set up with a bed extension and gives 52" between centers. On the other hand I have 6 chucks and use them all. Two are set up for the small lathe, but I have an adapter and use them on the large lathe too. I have 50mm jaws for both machines and 25mm, 75mm, and 100mm for the large machine. The last chuck I change as desired from a variety of jaws I purchased when I used only the small lathe with 2 PSI chucks.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Roger, I responded to your email, and yes, I used the SN2 on the Delta and it worked fine.

Why not more chucks and more lathes? I have the Delta 46-755X the Delta 46-460 and over in the corner attached to that 20" sanding disc is a Jet 1236. You might not be able to see to well, but on that back shelve are five chucks and there is one mounted to that bowl on the lathe. I have four 1 x 8 chucks, two 1 x 1 1/4 chucks, and a 1 x 8 to 1 x 1 1/4 adaptor that lets me use those 1 x 8 chucks on the large Delta. And, don't forget the Face Plates. Without going out to count them I think there are eight of them on that shelve.
    PB050537.jpg

Doing segmented work, I find the two lathes and multiple chucks and face plates a must. Mounting rings on the lathe is a two chuck project, one holding the project on the head stock and the other mounted to the tail stock to allow centering the ring. With two lathes you can leave a project on one lathe while waiting for the glue to dry and work on another project on the other lathe.

I don't fine batch turning to be much fun.

Plus don't forget you can get refurbished SN2's from Nova for around $100 plus insert. I bought one and it works the same as the new one I bought at Woodcraft for more money.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

Roger, do a spreedsheet on your time on lathe with chuck, how much time to redo configeration, etc., more chucks and more lathes are nice, but i find i turn multiple items in a short period, then maybe not turn for several weeks, off and on turner i guess, i never really got into the rough out bowl thing, much prefer start to finish with hf's and wallhangings

what i am saying is that you have to turn several time each week and every week to really need more stuff, unless stuff is a feel good thingy

just my opinion
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 11-09-2012 at 8:07 AM.

I am with Bill on this one. I sold 2 lathes that I accumulated along the way but kept the others. I admit I have a problem. A new 1200sq. ft. shop NEEDS 4 wood lathes....at least that is what I tell myself. All joking aside with some projects I have had pieces on 3 different lathes at the same time for the same project. It can speed things up a lot. The Delta is a good lathe, I think Jet needs to redesign the mini lathes they sell, I have one of them as well, it still keeps on working.

Sheeesh...................... with all the QA problems I'm hearing about the new li'l Delta 46-460, I'm gonna go out and hug mine.

RogerGood luck with your dilemma. Sound advice above, some solutions more expensive than others.
    mj