Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The wheels have been turning.......I am soliciting opinions.......

1. Case Closed!

Case closed! I have the 46-460 on order....now to make room for it in the "studio" [a.k.a. shop]
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Hey Roger the Rockler add that just came out had the non-variable for 399$. You wouldn't have to worry as much about parts.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Russell Eaton View Post
    Hey Roger the Rockler add that just came out had the non-variable for 399$. You wouldn't have to worry as much about parts.
    Thanks Russell.......I really wanted the Variable speed.......done deal now! Got a free stand and a $50 gift card to boot!

You will like the stand--- I have one and it is compact and solid once you get it installed. I think I tossed their hardware and used my bolts, but I have slept since then.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Thanks JD........how is the power on that lathe? If I remember it is rated 3/4 hp, [same as the Jet 1220 VS ]and does yours bog down easily with a heavier cut?
    Personally I think it is underrated at 3/4HP. I am thinking that a couple years back I checked the motor amp draw(it is DC contrary to the Griz site info) and I believe it is the same as the 46-460 which delta rates at 1HP. In any case It has always had enough torque for everything I have turned on it. One positive is that it has 3 ranges and I normally run it on the middle range 600 to 2000rpm. On rare occasions I will drop it down to the low range(300-1000 if I have an out of balance blank. In the lower ranges there is no problem with torque. I really haven't tried to stall it in any range but I am sure it would stall easier in the high range(1200-4000).

BTW I have a tutorial in the Authors forum on adding a reversing switch to it. Something you might want to look at after the warranty ends if you go the G0658 route.

Edit: Just noted your "Case Closed" post. Nothing wrong in that deal.
    Last edited by James Combs; 11-15-2012 at 2:30 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

6. Thanks for the info James......that was my second choice if the Delta deal did not work out!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Case closed! I have the 46-460 on order....now to make room for it in the "studio" [a.k.a. shop]
    Congrats Roger...I don't think you'll be disappointed. I like the stand too. Put a couple bags of sand over the backs of the legs and it will also help steady things up even more. From what I've experienced hauling around various club lathes, the Delta is probably the heaviest of the crowd, but still 'haulable'.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

8. Now........where in the world did I put that shop stretcher???

You are going to like that lathe. My wife just got me one for my birthday as a second lathe. My main lathe is a PM3520. I love the smaller lathe for finials and pens. Especially when I have something on my PM and want to turn something small. Also works nice if I have a guest over.

Roger, the Rikon 12" variable speed on sale at Woodcraft for $229 didn't spark your interest? I've got one, it is great for small stuff. I've also got a Delta 10" with extension bed. That one runs smoothly, too...but doesn't have variable speed...other than changing belts. But I suppose this is all moot...you already ordered a Delta.
    I drink, therefore I am.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Roger, the Rikon 12" variable speed on sale at Woodcraft for $229 didn't spark your interest? I've got one, it is great for small stuff. I've also got a Delta 10" with extension bed. That one runs smoothly, too...but doesn't have variable speed...other than changing belts. But I suppose this is all moot...you already ordered a Delta.
    I wanted a bit more than that one offered Mike........the 1 hp motor and the variable speed/reverse made the choice an easy one! Like John said above.....if I have a guest, we can both turn!

That's why I have 4 lathes, Roger! For when the fellas come over...DUH!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Is that an invite to come over Roger?