Thread: New guy needing great advice!

New guy needing great advice!

Hello everyone,

Hi I’m the new guy who is interested in turning, especially pen making. I currently don’t have a lathe or any tools that are required for pen making or any other type of turning. I’m saving money, and I’m looking to purchase what I need by April 2013. I’m hoping to have saved up around $1200.00, which is my max for everything. I’m not really sure what I will need, what brand of lathe or tools I should go with. I was wondering if I could get some great advice on what I need, which brand to go with and where to purchase the product from? I was looking at a Jet JWL-1220vs lathe which is in my price range.

Thank you in advance for the help!!
    Mike.

Hello Mike. First. you're setting out on a great new hobby. A bit addicting, but it brings immeasurable pleasure. Turning pens is fun and can even be profitable. People seem to love a beautiful pen. But if you're like the rest of us that started out with a modest goal, you'll soon be wanting to turn more than just pens. The Jet lathe you mentioned is a fine machine and even if you expand your turning it will serve as a great secondary lathe for years to come. Really about any of the smaller mini lathes, Delta, Rikon, or similar machines are good machines and they accept standard accessories. And you might even check out your local classified ads or Craigs List and find a great deal on a used lathe. As for tools a good set of HSS tools is great for beginning. As you turn more you'll get into more specialized tools or brands you prefer. A slow speed grinder with good quality wheels, 60 and 100 grit is a necessity. Learning to turn is as much about learning to sharpen the tools as about anything. If you go to the American Association of Woodturners website you can search their directory for a turning club in your area. The club will welcome you as a beginner and give more advice than you can absorb in a lifetime. Welcome to the vortex!
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 11-09-2012 at 8:46 AM.

Mike - Welcome to the Creek!

Curt gave you some really good advice! I would like to add to that by suggesting that you find a local turning club and learn what you can BEFORE you start buying anything! Most of us bought tools when we first started turning that we thought we would use... only to find out that was not the case. By getting with your local club - you will get some lessons and experience and then when the time comes to buy your lathe and tools - you will be way ahead of the game!

When you have the time - go to your profile and update your location. Chances are there is a Creeker or 5 that live very close by and there is nothing better than getting some one-on-one turning time!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Welcome Mike! The 1220, although a fine choice is a bit large for pens. I started with a 1014 that I still use to this day. Pen sales paid for my Jet 1642. There is an old joke amoung pen turners, "My first pen cost $1,200 to make, the second was 8 bucks!" Be sure to check out IAP for serious pen stuff.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I'm in the same boat as Jim. I think the 1014 is better for JUST PENS. And later upgrade to the 1642. The 1220 is bigger and beefier, but I'd get the Delta instead, since it's got reverse. Delta seems to be having some quality issues from time to time though. The Jets are pretty much rock solid. My 1014 is still going strong, not a problem with it. You can save a few bucks and get a chuck if you get the 1014.

Mike, Welcome aboard, that giant sucking sound you hear is the vortex. Great advice so far. It is good that you are doing some research and taking some time. As Steve mentioned we probably all have some things lying around that we could have done without. There is a lot of info on the web, I would take a look at Neal Addy's website. His Turners Corner section has a nice article on starting out. It covers a lot of questions that someone starting out may have. He also has a matrix that compares the available lathes on the market.

Where are you located, Mike? I'm sure you could hook up with an existing local turner to see what all is needed and to try different lathes to figure out what one you like.

If you are in Northern California give me a call.
    GK

Big yes, on finding a local club. You might even find a used lathe and some tools. My rule of thumb for setting up shop is you will spend at least double what you spent on your lathe for 'accessories'.

robo hippy

I would only reiterate what everyone else has said. I have done a bit of work on the JWL-1220vs, and while it seemed to be a good machine, just know that as you get sucked into the vortex you will outgrow it. If you go with a mini lathe, just make sure the headstock spindle and the tailstock taper are standard (i.e. 1" 8 TPI and #2 morse taper) so you can use standard accessories.

Also, as others have mentioned, while the lathe itself will ultimately be the smallest part of your budget, beware buying every "must have cool thing" you see. Early on I was convinced by the sales staff of a woodworking store that if I was going to do bowls, I "must have" a bowl scraper and an internal shear scraper. I have never actually used either of these. In the mess you see below I actually only use about 4 tools on a regular basis.

Finding other turners, taking a class, or joining a club cannot be recommended highly enough. Not only will this potentially avoid a lot of unnecessary expenditure, but it will give you some insight into what you really want to do with turning, you may find pens are just the starting point. More importantly though you will start learning things correctly right from the beginning. Personally I had to break a lot of self taught bad habits once I started hanging out with real turners.

The final thing I would say is do not underestimate the importance of having and learning to use a sharpening system. Without it you have to constantly take your tools somewhere, and are probably working with dull tools in between. Again, speaking from personal experience here, but once I learned how to sharpen, how often you may need to sharpen, the importance of having a fresh grind on the tool for your final cut, etc. it made a world of difference in my final product(s).

Good luck, and welcome to what is probably the most addicting thing in woodworking!

Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone,

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I work two jobs and around this time of year I'm putting in about 70 hrs a week. Thank you for all the great advise I greatly appreciate it!! I'm sure I will have some questions in the future!!
    Take care
    mk

Mike, in addition to the other advise visit web sites that sell (PSI, CSUSA, Packard, etc) and look at what they have to offer. Depending on what tools and other experience you have you may need other major tooling like a band saw and drill press. Blanks can be purchased cut to size so a table saw is not required, but they need to be cut to length. This can be done with a handsaw and miter box if needed. Drilling can be done on the lathe (I prefer to) or a drill press in which case a special centering vise is nice. A 'pen press' of some sort is needed, but these can be built if you are handy and like doing that sort of thing. An adjustable mandrel is good for starters, though some more experienced turners prefer other methods. Pick up a dvd and/or book on pen turning if you haven't already. Penn State Industries (PennStateInd.com) has a free dvd, some starter kits that are nice and a decent line of tools.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Cool

Hi Jim,

I'm considering purchasing the Jet 1014. Is is better to go with the variable speed lathe or with out the variable speed function?

Thx, for the help I appreciate it!
    mk

Quote Originally Posted by mike knapp View Post
    Hi Jim,

I'm considering purchasing the Jet 1014. Is is better to go with the variable speed lathe or with out the variable speed function?

Thx, for the help I appreciate it!
    mk
    Variable without a doubt!! It makes sanding...always done at very low speed, drilling...critical for penmaking, and larger items that need to go from fast to slow frequently a breeze! The reverse on the Delta is nice, but I've been selling stuff for years off my Jet with no reverse. Your sanding skill is more important that spinning backwards!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots