Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro and Used Bandsaw Question

Intro and Used Bandsaw Question

Hi guys,

First post, have been reading a while. Most of my "woodworking" to date has been basic stuff like making shelving systems for my closets and stuff like that. I want to get into guitar building and a bandsaw is up next on the tool purchase list. I was pretty set on the Grizzly G0555LX but my boss came across this on CL. It's an older Jet 18" model. I haven't seen it yet but it looks pretty heavy, which I think would be a good thing. Is this a fair price and is this worth buying over a newer 14" model? Thanks!

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/3380465310.html

Welcome to the Creek! A lot of good people here and a info to be had. Looks more like a 14" bandsaw to me. As for price a little on the high side. See if you can talk them down a little. Good luck.

Welcome.
    Not a bad price for an 18" saw. You had better get it before someone here reads this, and snatches it up before you do.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Years back (don't ask) I ordered a 18" bandsaw kit from the back of ?PopMech?. Templates, pulleys, guides, etc. $52. I had an old computer tape drive (scraped) - 30"x30" base, 76" high. Cut-cut-weld-cut-weld-modify... I didn't need a tilt table so I used 4 1" ball bearings and my table rolls - from to back. The first jobs were cutting 2x2x1/4 angle iron. Because the table rolled, really easily, I attached a spring, flipped the switch and walked off. I have a radial arm, a table, a skill, (several) hand and my band gets used 10:1. I recently watched http://woodgears.ca/bandmill which is 98% wood and this forum is a woodworking forum.... The only thing I'd do differently would be to add a third wheel for a wider throat <| You have no idea how many time I need to cut something 19" long <sigh>. So you can drop $$$ and have instant gratification or $$+sweat for WOW! - and you can tweak the design for the jobs "you" do. Enjoy.

I don't know much about those models, but I'd probably go for the 18" Jet. I went with Delta's top 14" model 6 years ago, brand new. It's nice, but today, I'd probably just get an older used one if I had to do it over again. If you're not familiar with bandsaws and how to check one over, you might want to take someone with you or buy the Grizz so that you know it will either work right, or they'll make it right. For the price though, the Jet one looks like it's worth the risk.

Hoping he gets back to me with the model number to see if I can look something up. Probably offer $275 and tell him I'll pick it up right away if he gets to $300 assuming it is in good condition when I get there. Thanks for the input!

John,

Notice your around the Pittsburgh area, me too, Blawnox area......

Anyways, I recenty went to Direct Tools in Washington and picked up a new, but marked as refurbed, 14" Ridgid Bandsaw. It does get bad reviews for vibration, but with the discount price, and if yo can still get the 30% off (they might honor it), then some simple mods, I was able to rid the saw of most of the vibration.

You dont get the LSA with it, but you do get the 3 Year Warranty.....

Anyways, if you are interested.....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...idgid-Band-Saw

I'd be seriously surprised if that is an 18" saw. I agree with with Russ; that looks like an old 14" saw. Hard to say what it is and what kind of shape it is in. If it needs new guides, tires, and any other parts then I would stay away. I might offer them $250 max. There will always be another one for sale somewhere. I suggest doing your homework first and then make a purchase. Get Mark Duginske's Bandsaw Book, or Lonnie Bird's. They cover things to look for in a used saw.

While its built like a 14", look at the extra space between the table and the frame. I would say its bigger than 14".

John

Reliant (Woodoworker's Warehouse Brand) used to just be rebranded and blue painted Jet machines. Reliant had an 18" Bandsaw that was built like a 14" saw (think Grizzly had one similar as well way back when) so it may have been sold as a Jet as well. If memory serves me correctly, those 18" saws weren't much to write home about. That said, for less than $300 it may be worth a shot. If nothing else, it'll give you the opportunity to learn your way around a bandsaw and when (if) you decide to upgrade, you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for in a machine...

Hi John,

Welcome to the creek. Do a little homework. Try to decide what type of blades you are interested in, and how much tension those blades take. Not all saws can tension all blades. If you want to do any resawing for your guitar building, you may want a larger width blade or a carbide blade for smooth consistent cuts. The larger blades, and carbide blades take more tension. For me, bigger is better. Don't be in a hurry. Buying used can most times get you more for your money.

I am like the others, I can not tell what size the saw is you are looking at. The frame is cast iron which is good. If the wheels are cast iron, that would be good as well. Then check the tires and bearings. It looks like the saw has a blade in it. Turn it on and make sure the wheels are true, and the saw does not vibrate, and the blade runes true.

Sam

OK, I think I am going to wait. Given my basic knowledge, even in person I probably won't be able to tell if this is worth the TLC it might take to get it tuned up. Thanks for the sanity check!

If you're uncertain about band saws and/or not too mechanically inclined, passing might be a wise choice. Chaiwanese machines of that vintage were sometimes referred to as "kits". You buy it then fix and tune, get better bearings & blade guides, that sort of thing. Do you know about the woodcraft sale? They have 2 Rikon models which get quite good reviews on sale. I have the 10-325 14" with 13" resaw and did very little tuning. The 10-325 winds up at $699 ($799-$100 gift card) and the 10-345 $999.

I saw the Rikon 10-325, may be worth the drive to Cleveland to pick it up. Plenty of resaw for figured tops, pretty good deal price wise, about the same as the Grizly by the time you pay shipping and riser kit.

Justin

OK I'll bite what is "LSA"
    ed