Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern Day Mortise Gauge

+1 on the Cosman gauge. I've had one just over a year and wouldn't trade it for 2 of anything else.
    Bob

+10 on the Kinshiro, just a perfect gauge; and they came in different sizes (I've got a large and bought the blades to make a small version). And they can double for cutting gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    +10 on the Kinshiro, just a perfect gauge; and they came in different sizes (I've got a large and bought the blades to make a small version). And they can double for cutting gauges.
    Jack, where did you buy the Kinshiro from?

I have the Veritas dual marking gauge. I like it. It is much improved in my opinion since I added the shaft clamp they introduced shortly after the gauge came out. I sometimes work the bar locks loose and the shaft clamp will keep things in order unless I loosen both sides (which hasn't happened). I had a cheap version of the Kinshiro from Japanwoodworker and I still have it. I don't like it, but then it's not made to the quality of the Kinshiro. I will say my hardened cutter on my dual marking gauge is all dinged and needing replaced after just normal use. I looks like I got into a sword fight with it. Bunch of nicks. It's supposed to be a hardened cutter so I don't know what I could have done to nick it up since I've only used it on red oak and walnut for marking M and T's. I'll have to order some replacements, but they're cheap.

I do like the wheel cutters, but I also will say the knife cutters on my el cheapo japanese gauge cut easier then the wheels. Or seem to cut cleaner.

Paul, I saw that one and also one on Japan Woodworker. I wasn't sure if the price difference was due to sourcing difficulties or a difference in quality. The wear strip does seem like a nice touch but $300 might put it past the my purchase price limit.

Am I correct in assuming the the Kinshiro (clone?) on Japan Woodworker is of inferior quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Brown View Post
    Jack, where did you buy the Kinshiro from?
    http://www.japantool-iida.com/ for the large gauge, Harrelson/Hiraide for the smaller blade set. And btw, there's no such thing as a cheap version of the Kinshiro. The general style is the Japanese style, which Kinshiro has perfected.
    Last edited by Jack Curtis; 11-12-2012 at 3:48 AM.

The Veritas dual wheel is dead simple to set up.

I like the Japanese style gauge when I'm trying to score a longer line, such as when reducing a board to thickness.
    Set up properly, the blade style pulls the gauge fence tight to the board for a consistent depth.

I really like the Japanese-style ones. I have the 6" version made by Hamilton Toolworks and love it. Reasonably priced as well. I didn't realize how expensive the Kinshiro gauges were. Wonder what makes it better than the Colen Clenton ones?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    My preference is for a Kinshiro. Below is a modern version (the larger one) and a vintage ..

If I could only have one gauge it would be this one. They can just as easily be used for single lines as well (as in dovetail baselines) as the blades retract.
    Derek
    Sadly, Kinshiro has retired, and although a few of his gauges can still be found in the tool stores here in Tokyo, they are going up in price.

Stan

Make a dedicated two pin gauge to match your mortise chisel. You realy only neeed a single pin gauge to mark a mortise as the chisel will chop along one line just fine, you do need two pins for the tenon so it is a bit of a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    I really like the Japanese-style ones. I have the 6" version made by Hamilton Toolworks and love it. Reasonably priced as well. I didn't realize how expensive the Kinshiro gauges were. Wonder what makes it better than the Colen Clenton ones?

Steve
    Hi Steve

Go here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ingGauges.html

This is an aticle on making your own Kinshiro-influenced cutting gauge.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Go here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ingGauges.html

This is an aticle on making your own Kinshiro-influenced cutting gauge.

Thanks Derek. I have those many times over and am still not convinced that I can make one. Hate to put you on the spot, but do you like the Kinshiro better than Colen Clenton's?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    Thanks Derek. I have those many times over and am still not convinced that I can make one. Hate to put you on the spot, but do you like the Kinshiro better than Colen Clenton's?

Steve
    Steve, I have a Colen Clenton. You can see it here alongside the Kinshiro ..

The big drawback to the CC in my opinion is the placement of the adjustment knob. It is on the side rather than the top. Being on the side makes this a two-handed gauge. Being on the top makes it a one-handed gauge (far preferable). As a result of this factor I prefer using the gauges I made, which are based on a Kinshiro. If you can get a Kinshiro, grab it. I am now trying to work out how I can make the blades. (I wonder if Schtoo/Stu has them?).

Better than the CC is the one made by Chris Vesper. Buy one soon as he is threatening to stop making them as they are not cost effective for him (labour intensive) ..

... and I've just looked on his site for a picture, and they are no longer listed. There you are! Write to him and beg .. or make your own.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 11-16-2012 at 1:03 AM.

Better than the CC is the one made by Chris Vesper. Buy one soon as he is threatening to stop making them as they are not cost effective for him (labour intensive) ..

... and I've just looked on his site for a picture, and they are no longer listed. There you are! Write to him and beg .. or make your own.
    Thanks Derek,

I had looked at Chris Vesper's site, assuming that he made them, but didn't see any. I see that Stu has several new cutting gauges, but only the cheaper ones resemble the Kinshiro.

Good point about the adjustment knob. I recall reading that in one of your articles.

Steve