Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identifying Stanley chisels

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What is that old saying? Oh yeah, YOU SUCK!!!

Great find, POS chisels at the borgs would likely run more than $7 each and they wouldn't throw in a saw.

Is the saw any good?
    I'm cleaning up the saw even as we speak. It seems to be a decent rip saw. Pretty sharp too. But then...what do I know??? It has, however, gotten me doing some reseach on handsaws...

Oh, and...thanks for the "you suck".

image.jpgThat, my friend, is a nice find!
    Thanks all for your posts, I believe you have helped me identify one of my chisels as a #750. It's a tough call though, because I don't have much to go off of.
    Mine is a splayed 1/2" socket chisel with a 3 1/2" blade and 2" socket.
    Inscribed
    "Stanley
    Made in USA"

any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    any thoughts?
    Howdy Dan and welcome to the Creek. Your profile does not reveal a location. You may live near another member who is willing to make a handle for your chisel, if you do not have a lathe.

Your chisel looks as if the "splayed" socket may be what happens to a lot of chisels when the handle is broken or goes missing. Some one starts hitting it with a hammer and it mushrooms. I tend to carefully grind the mushrooming off.

One of my Stanley chisels does have a splay at the top. It was made that way and is knurled. It is from a not very common 4xx series of chisels they produced between 1926 & 1935.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I would grind the splay off and order a handle from Lie Nielsen for a replacement handle.

Another option is to make a handle. You can shape a rectangular blank that you cut out of a piece oak and shape it with a spoke shave, rasp, and sandpaper.

Stanley #720 Socket Chisel: Length when new; 13 - 15 inches, depending on width.

I hope that you like yours as much as I like mine. I asked a similar question here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-these-chisels

They handle well, hold an edge, and I have a sentimental attachment to them (owned by my Grandfather).

I found a 3/4" 720 about a year ago for 5 bucks. It is my favorite chisel.