Thread: AAAHHHRRRGGG, my nerves. Cutting top off 1st humidor.

AAAHHHRRRGGG, my nerves. Cutting top off 1st humidor.

Well after several deep breathes I got it done using the table saw. I used a pull saw to finish cutting the top off and a box cutter to trim the edges. A quick run through the router and a light block sanding and I started to breathe again. A lot of work went into this 1st humidor to this point but thanks to good info from creekers it came out all right. The box was not as flat and square as my ego says it should be but a little extra tape on the corners kept things from rocking and chipping out. The next test of my nerves will be hinges, (barrel type) liner and trays.
    Thanks for the info. Pics attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brad McCollum; 11-10-2012 at 1:03 PM.
    Brad McCollum
    Mac Woodworks

looks very nice!

Just following up from our PMs. How's it proceeding? Any updates?

Good work Brad. You've built a beauty of a humidor now breathe easy again (as much as one can with lungs full of cigar smoke ).
    I too have had (and still have) such moments of woodworking trepidation. We all have. Trust your little voice and move easy.

And - if you are so inclined read The Nature and Art of Workmanship by the late David Pye. He writes about "the workmanship of risk and the workmanship of certainty" and I think of this often when I am about to trash 4 weeks worth of work with one table saw operation weighed against (or in favor of) the alternative, to sharpen some hand tools and proceed more slowly and perhaps with less precision. This idea among many - I highly recommend the book to Creekers of all predilections and talent.

Here is a link to a partial download http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/faculty/ree...avidpye019.pdf

Yes, and show us the finished project.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 11-17-2012 at 11:46 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge