Thread: Now for the mini lathe choice.

Now for the mini lathe choice.

I've been looking at a 1/2 hp JET JML 1014VSI 10-Inch-by-14-Inch Variable Speed Indexing Mini Lathe for about $477 total including delivery. Seems like a good price, I guess. Since I have a PM 3520b, I don't expect to use it much. But want this lathe for small projects and mainly to travel. So here's my question: Is the lathe too small for "weekend" club turning? I'm certain pens can be made, but not sure how big a bowl, or even if you can hollow with the thing. If this is a strike out, what do you recommend?

Josh if you have the time you should stop by our shop----- I am just north of you up hwy 27 to Somerset then 45 miles west. If you could test drive a 46-460 you would be in love--- it ain't no toy. I take mine to shows and do Demos all the time.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Woodcraft in my area is having a black friday sale on the Rikon 12-16 variable speed lathe for 229. I don't know if it is just regional but this is a great deal.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

Josh,

I had a Jet 1014VS before getting my Powermatic 3520b and found the power to be lacking for anything of size, less so power than the single speed motor. It was handy for small items and pens and for buffing but I sold it when downsizing to a smaller shop after move. As you are seeing, there are more powerful units out there. The Delta 46-460 is a nice unit but higher cost. After the Powermatic, all of them look and feel puny so get ready.

I have the Jet mini VS. I've done small, ie. <7" bowls on it, but it is lacking in torque, so very light cuts are a must. I done small hollow forms, and the same limitations apply. Pens, spindles and bottle stoppers are where it shines. I can't help you on what may work better for you.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I have a Rikon for my mini. I think is a good value. I've used it for several years now with no problems. It's portable enough to take to public demo's too. Having 2 Powermatics for heavy turning. I still use it for small work. I have turned several bowls on it around 8" in dia. and it handled them fine. Just don't expect to take heavy cuts like you would on a Powermatic.

I've had my 1014 for years and turned 9" platters, HF's, bowls, peppermills and tons more. Monster even makes a hollowing rig for it! I don't know why people bash it over the Delta, but there is nothing wrong with a Jet at all.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I'm an advocate of my PSI (Penn State Industries) midi. A VS with a 1hp motor and 12" swing. My previous lathe was the first Delta mini (10", serial 00041). The weight of the PSI midi might be a bit much for carrying to the weekend club turnings, but the price is $500, and I've never seen it not on sale for $450 in their catalog. They also have a 10" mini VS (3/4 hp) at $400/ on semi-permanent sale at $380. It weighs about 80 + pounds.

You can hollow on a mini/midi, and the practical limit for bowls is close to the swing diameter. I'd question the Jet's 1/2 hp motor, I think that would limit you to the pens and peppermills. On my PSI 12" 1hp I could turn an 11.99 inch bowl - were I to spend a lot of time on the band saw rounding the blank. In practice I can turn bowls of about 10", as I am starting them roughly rounded and a bit out of balance. The VS is an advantage here as one can gradually raise the speed as the blank becomes more balanced.

I have a Jet 1220 for my small lathe. For best value; I would suggest the Rikon, for best small lathe the Delta 46-460. The Jet 1220 is also a great lathe, I prefer the single speed motor due to better torque.

I have a 1014 evs and it is a good deal lighter to move around. I would think 15-20#'s. I also have the Delta and like others have said it is a more powerful option, and you know how handy the reverse is.

I think for what you wont to do the Rikon for the money, it's the way to go. The 10-14 vs is just to under powered for bowls and large items
    we had one at were I us to teach and it was just stalling all the time. It's usable but for club stuff I'd want one with more power.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I have not used one but the Rikon 70-050 looks pretty good. I have used a Rikon but not this one with the electronic speed. At 6.6 amps it is a strong 1/2hp (the Jet is 5 amps which is also ½ hp and the Delta is 8 amp which they call 1 hp…Max). Sometime semantics matter.
    The Rikon has a low of 300 compared to the Jet of 500 rpm.
    On sale for $250. Maybe other can tell you if it is really worth it or not.
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon-12-basic-mini-lathe-70-050VS.aspx
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I had no problems with making 8" - 9" bowls with my manual belt change 1014. Moved up to a PM3520 so the Jet gets used as a Beall Buffer. If I were shlepping one around, weight would be a consideration that might rule out the Jet 1220 and 12" Delta midi. That Rikon looks like a great price now at Highland but don't know how much it weighs.
    God is great and life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peace View Post
    I had no problems with making 8" - 9" bowls with my manual belt change 1014. Moved up to a PM3520 so the Jet gets used as a Beall Buffer. If I were shlepping one around, weight would be a consideration that might rule out the Jet 1220 and 12" Delta midi. That Rikon looks like a great price now at Highland but don't know how much it weighs.
    Shipping Weight: 74lbs

FYI once you count shipping its actually cheaper from amazon ($294 shipped), might be cheaper in store if you can get it.

Although I have the Jet 1014, I've turned on all the other brand name Mini/Midis. It is the weakest and smallest of the lathes. If your primary reason for the mini is to take on demos, IMO the 1014 is the ticket. It's heavy for it's size, and still easy to lug around. The Rikon would be next on the list. As mentioned the Delta is a bit heavy/bulky if moving about is the main purpose. I've turned bowls on it, although it is really weak. Pens, tops and stoppers, it's hard to beat taking to a demo. Don't even need to bolt it down to turn small stuff. I also think the VS is even weaker than the non VS, since the non VS is always running at full speed, and the VS may not.

Just my $0.02.