Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suburban Deer

Suburban Deer

Here's what I found in my back yard today:

DSC_0941.jpg

One thing I have noticed, this time of year the deer with the horns are not as quick to run away- they are more likely to stand sideways and give you a dirty look.

Nice looking young buck and doe.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I think they are hip to deer season.

All those guys with trucks in camo carrying rifles likely clues them in.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's all fun and games until they eat Mama's flowers!! Then.. look out!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Here's what I found in my back yard today:

DSC_0941.jpg

One thing I have noticed, this time of year the deer with the horns are not as quick to run away- they are more likely to stand sideways and give you a dirty look.
    Male deer this time of year have only one thing on their mind. They will chase doe scent through neighborhoods, across roads, in your yard, etc......
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

They're in the rut.

Be careful on the roads...

Our Daughter, in Co. gets these, as well as Deer.
    Darned things believe they own the neighborhood, which they do.

0611091652.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Our Daughter, in Co. gets these, as well as Deer.
    Darned things believe they own the neighborhood, which they do.
    That's quite a rack!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    That's quite a rack!
    maybe for a white-tail but not for a Elk or Moose

bang-bang-bang!!!!

Yes, we have a young buck that comes to the front yard. Glenna did some research and found that deer will eat the oak acorns we have, so as we sweep them off the driveway at the back of the house, I wheel barrow them to the front out by the street. In seven years, I have only seen this and one other buck, about a 7 point IIRC. See doe quite often, one that is huge. Anyway, this picture was taken about 45 minutes ago. Sorry for the grainy look, it was shot through the screen and window from inside. young buck DSCN3177.jpg He's not much bigger that my Irish setters. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I just had a face to face this morning with a spike buck, walking down the road to get to the bus stop. I didn't notice the guy until I was about 10 feet from him (no typo - his backdrop was brown woods leaves, and it was marginal light), I was on the road, he was as at the edge of the road standing on the grass. He and made a snort, stomped his feet, and then walked along beside me for about 20 feet trying to guess which way I was going, I think, so he could go a different route.

Not a big fan of the deer in the rut, if they turn on you give you the front feet, you have no chance. You can't tell what they're thinking when they're waking around near you and not running away, either, but he didn't exactly run off when he figured out which way I was going.

I've never had them get remotely that close here other than when they're in the rut.

Yah, exactly. I don't exactly live in the suburbs...more like rural New England farm country. We have lots of critters running around, including dear. Holy cow, don't tick one of them off when they're looking for a little love. If you've never seen a cute, little, harmless deer trample something, you'll be in for the shock of your life.

Blog Entries
    I live in a suburban area but relatively close to a nature preserve and not far from NASA which has a lot of forested land. We get lots of deer in the neighborhood. There are lots of Live Oaks and they eat the acorns.

The funniest news story lately though came from Katy, Texas, a suburb west of Houston. It has grown very quickly and has moved into the former homes of wild hogs. There was a home video on the news showing a herd of about 15 wild hogs running through the upscale, previously well-landscaped subdivision. Not really funny because they can be very dangerous but it was kinda funny to see what they had done to the yards and flowerbeds. Funny only because they weren't my flower beds.