Thread: Blum 563 vs. 563H Drawer Slides

Blum 563 vs. 563H Drawer Slides

Maybe it's just me but I find Blum's brochures for their drawer slides far from user-friendly in terms of comparing the various drawer slides they offer. A comparison chart of the key features for each slide would be very helpful and maybe one exists.

Case and point are the 563 vs. 563H drawer slides. I believe the primary difference between these two slides is that the 563 is for panelled or block-out face frame construction; whereas, the 563H is for panelled or face frame construction (no block out). From the photos, the 563 runner appears to stop short of the front of the cabinet sides (panels) by several inches since it attaches to the sides. On the 563H, I assume the runners attach to the sides of the face frame and the rear bracket is required to mount to the cabinet backs.

Here's my dilemma. I have a mix of the two installations as I'll be using face frame construction but each edge of the face frame will have a flush panel to simplify mounting, i.e. no rear bracket required, no gap to the panel behind the face frame, etc. So, I ordered a case of the 563H slides to have the versatility but the 563H slides are on back-order.

Do you see any reason why I can't switch to the 563 slides in this case? Are there other advantages to the 563H slides?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brett

I've used them both. As I see it, the primary difference is that the case member on the H series goes all the way to the rear of the slide, so it can connect to a rear mounting bracket. The case member on the non-H is shorter, so it can't reach back to the rear mounting bracket. in return, the non-H costs a few pennies less. One other difference is that at leas my supplier only sells the non-H in a couple of lengths, and the H in a wider variety of lengths.

What Jamie says + the 563 is only available in a 21" and 18" length whereas the 563 H is available from 9" to 24".
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Jamie is right on... if all of your cabinet sides are flush with the face frame, there is no reason not to use the 563 as far as I can tell, unless your drawers are not 18' or 21". The body of the slide is just shorter than its 'H' counterpart, and is intended for frame cabinets and blocking out, which in your case is unnecessary due to the flush sides.

BTW the 563(H) is the re-invented 562(H)... maybe your supplier has the 562 instead....might save a couple of bucks and I have used these exclusively and have not had any problems. I'm sure these will probably be phased out over time anyway.

The 563/H is the newer version that can use the lock that has a side to side control. The 562/H doesn't have this option. And the side to side lock won't mate with the 562/H, so if you want this accessory then you need to get the 563/H version. I'll tell ya, it's really handy. But it adds about $2 per stop. The old 562/H stops use to be about 70-90 cents, the newer ones can run $4 each.

Good timing on this question. I just installed 4 sets of the 563H's last night, and got it specifically for the reason that the outside slides (far left and far right) are block out mounted, and the interior slides I used the rear mounting clip.

I can tell you from experience, that the information is more overwhelming that the actual process. Once you do one and get it setup, they go in quickly.

You do have to follow exact dimensions fro building your drawers, other than that, assembly was easy, would've been easier with one more extra arm and hand, but that's what quick grip clamps are for.

open.jpegclosed.jpeg

I buy Blum slides from AH Turf. They have always had what I wanted in stock, had the lowest price of any place I checked, and ship pretty quickly.

John

Blum Newbie Needs Helpb

Resurrecting this old thread. Looking for advice from experienced Blum runner users. I am planning to build 18 drawers in a walk-in closet. Frameless construction. I’d like to go with Blum undermount slides. Looking at the 563, 563H series. For frameless application, I don’t see any value in the rear mounting brackets. Am I missing something? The drawer fronts are intended to be inset. Should I go with the T51.1901.PS locking devices or just stick with the T51.1901R/L devices. Looking forward to some insights here.

If you can screw them to the side of the cabinet then there is no reason for the H version. But good luck finding Blum Tandems right now. There is a worldwide shortage.

I would go with the locking devices that have the most adjustability. Critical on inset drawers if you are making 5 piece drawers, less so with 6 piece ones but I still like the added adjustability.

John