Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scroll saw advice

Scroll saw advice

Of these three, which one would you choose? Delta 20". Excalibur 16" or the DeWalt 20". All three are available at Woodcraft, although the Borg has the DeWalt cheaper and with free shipping. Delta comes with stand and light, least expensive. But cost aside, is the Excalibur that much better a machine, if at all? The small price difference is not the main concern to me. If everything is equal, I will save a few bucks, but if one is that much better and happens to be a little more expensive, so be it.

Anyone have experience with any of these?

I am not looking to go professional, just have a few projects in mind and am adding to my tool arsenal. I do not like to buy tools twice, so I want a machine that I will not want to upgrade in the future.

Thanks as always for your input.

None of the above. I have an older made in canada dewalt, and it's great. The local guru at the woodcraft says they are his favorite, and he's tried them all.

250 should get you a nice one from craigslist, and they do come up semi regularly. And, as ususal, it's always nice to get into a machine that you could get out of without loosing your shirt.

I haven't used all of those but I have used the DeWalt and it's a good machine. I agree that the best way to buy one is on CL.

It seems that many, many, many people think they're going to get into scroll work but find they don't like it. Then the machine just sits there. And there aren't that many people who want to buy a scroll saw, so they generally sell for a pretty good discount.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Stephen. That was my vote in the last election too! LOL Sadly, that was not a ballot option (never is and I always look for it).

I have looked on CL and have not seen one, but I also am not a fan of buying used from private parties. Way to much drama and stress.

So that being said, if you had to choose from these three, what would you choose?

I also would suggest that you look for a used one. I picked up a used Hegner which is a very good saw for a lot less than any of those that you mentioned. It was 15 years old but in brand new condition. It has worked great. I was surprised at how much that I had to learn. It is just like any other tool that you need to learn to use. I tried a number of different blade brands and types. It makes a huge difference which blade you use on a project.

I had a DeWalt and it died just out of waranty.....It literally fell apart. Repaired it best I could and sold it on Craig's list. I then bought a Hegner and never looked back. I have since bought another, used 1986 Hegner also so I now have two. Without a doubt the most durable machine out there.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I have a DeWalt Type 1(Made in Canada) which I brought for $250 on CL with light and stand plus a 4 hour drive not including gas and tolls. At woodcraft it's $699.97 but you get a free Stanley SweetHeart 750 Series 8 Piece Set. Delta is $499.99 and it comes with the light and stand. The Excalibur with a stand is $699.98. The Excalibur tilts the saw for bevel cuts keeping the table flat whereas the DeWalt and Delta till the table for bevel cuts, but the Excalibur is 16" while the others are 20".

DeWalt Woodcraft.png
    Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 11-13-2012 at 8:48 PM.

Michael - How do you find out if the saw is/was made in Canada i.e., type 1? Thanks
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Luther Oswalt View Post
    Michael - How do you find out if the saw is/was made in Canada i.e., type 1? Thanks
    Leo
    Just take a look at the motor and it will say type 1 and made in Canada. I took a guess with my DeWalt as the CL pictures were rather small and the seller didn't indicate, but when I got there it was a type 1 and my long drive was not wasted.
    DSCN2803-2.jpg

Michael Thanks ... I just looked at mine and it was made in China and is a type 2! I'm not very good at scroll sawing but I guess I should have known it would have been made in China since I bought it at Grizzly! The deal as I remember was the saw, stand and light $469.00 at the time. Once again thanks for the info.
    Leo

of the 3 i have only used the excalibur and i don't know if this would be a consideration for you - but the excalibur head stock pivots for angle cutting rather than the table - which i think the other 2 do. helps to not fight gravity if you're doing a large piece. in general the excalibur is a good quality tool.
    jerry
    jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moscicki View Post
    Just take a look at the motor and it will say type 1 and made in Canada. I took a guess with my DeWalt as the CL pictures were rather small and the seller didn't indicate, but when I got there it was a type 1 and my long drive was not wasted.
    Everybody talks about how they do not want things made in China, but the real way to express it is not to buy.

I bought one a few months ago on CL. A RBI Hawk 16" with stand for $100. I'm going to be right there with you trying to learn. I want to try some Christmas ornaments this year. I did have to rewire the saw, cost about $8 for a switch and I had the wire, and I need to get a bellows (where?). It did not come with one.

Blog Entries
    Now, don't send 'the mounties' after me but, with the exception of having to get a second table (the first one was arched) I find no difference, in use, between the type I and the type II. Even though I enjoy the romance of a non-Chinese machine, when I let one go to make space, I actually let the type I go since the type II was still under warranty (and the blower worked well). The Type II was a Grizzly deal with stand and light a few years back. The type I was several years older but, worked perfectly well. I primarily scroll thicker material for details on A&C and G&G furniture. I do see used DW788's show up at very good prices now and again. If you're patient you could really score.

P.s. I have yet to tilt my table but, that's me.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-14-2012 at 4:05 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Even though I enjoy the romance of a non-Chinese machine,
    For me, it's more about child labor laws, human rights, etc. If you care enough to look around a little, all this is clear.