Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Equator

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    First you have to explain what you think the temperature of the sun has anything to do with how it rotates. Without that, this is just a random question.
    JOHN , the temperature got nothing to do with the rotation that I know of BUT it do concerns the SUN not being a solid

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    JOHN , the temperature got nothing to do with the rotation that I know of BUT it do concerns the SUN not being a solid
    It's a gas. It behaves like our atmosphere. Clouds in Kentucky move different than the clouds in Connecticut. It's exactly the same thing.

Blog Entries
    Back to the original question.
    If you marked a point close to the top axis of a wooden ball and then a 2nd point at "equator" of the ball so that if you drew a line between the 2 points the line would be vertical along the axis. That line will stay vertical no matter how much you spin the ball and each point will make the exact same number of revolutions. This is because the ball is a solid ant the 2 points are fixed on the surface of the ball and do not change in relation to each other. Not liquid or gas. If however, it was a ball of gas like the sun, there is nothing to hold it together so as it spins the rate of rotation would be different therefore the line between the 2 points would no longer stay vertical to the axis. This would result in the number of revolutions of each point to be different.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Well, maybe the rest of us can learn something.

I learned today that the sun has a core that does move like a solid, at least as far as it's known now, to about 70% of its radius, and that above the radiative core is a transition layer into the convective layer of the sun.

The differential generates the sun's magnetic field.

Things like that tend to make you ask questions like, when the sun was assumed to move angularly constant throughout the entire radius (in latitude layers), what did people think generated the magnetic field? Differientials between layers? Did they think it was sliced into some number discrete layers (or in a more continuous sense, layers that at any given latitude were entirely constant, continuously changing to the poles) with constant angular rotation from the center out, but at different speed for the layers? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

I will remind everyone that personal attacks and unfriendly comments violate the Terms Of Service at SMC.

Please refrain from such conduct!

Thank you for your future compliance.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

I learned today that the sun has a core that does move like a solid, at least as far as it's known now, to about 70% of its radius, and that above the radiative core is a transition layer into the convective layer of the sun.

Things like that tend to make you ask questions like, when the sun was assumed to move angularly constant throughout the entire radius (in latitude layers), what did people think generated the magnetic field? Differientials between layers? Did they think it was sliced into some number discrete layers (or in a more continuous sense, layers that at any given latitude were entirely constant, continuously changing to the poles) with constant angular rotation from the center out, but at different speed for the layers? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dave....

I think you're dealing with a situation you mentioned in your second paragraph ("as far as it's now known"). I would think knowledge of surface speeds and the Sun's magnetic field all come later as measuring devises improved and/or left the Earth. "Back when the Sun was solid", we didn't know about surface speeds and other such details. Go back far enough and we thought it was a big lump of burning coal.

Our magnetic field and all magnetic fields work on the same basic principle, as far as I know. It sticks in my mind that Jupiter's core is "metallic hydrogen" - hydrogen atoms squished so hard by gravity that they go beyond mere solids and take on characteristics hydrogen normally doesn't have, such as electrical conductivity.

There is a series on I think Science Channel called "How the Universe works". They had a couple shows about the Sun. Lots of "I didn't know that" moments. The 'stars' are astronomers and astrophysicists(sp?) so presumably they know what they're talking about.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-16-2012 at 6:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

I think the earth has a magnetic field; is that generated by the interior rotating at a different speed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

As far as I know, it is generated in a similar manner by differentials due to liquid iron currents. Whether that means that the differences are as uniform as those from the sun is from pole to equator, it doesn't appear so, but dynamo relationship is still there, and so is convective force influence on the motion of the iron currents.

OK. Now my head is starting to hurt.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The melting point of diamond (carbon) is 6332F. The boiling point is 8720F. The surface of the sun is about 90,000F, so yes, a diamond would not only melt but would boil and become carbon gas on the sun.

....The surface of the sun is about 90,000F.....
    It'll still melt, but the surface of the Sun is "only" about 10,000 degrees F.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I think the earth has a magnetic field; is that generated by the interior rotating at a different speed?
    I never been to the earth core but it is claim to be molten and as for as I know GOD told the inner core to rotate opposite way to the surface

Ray, here is some interesting reading.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0220142817.htm

Basically, it says the earth's core rotates 1º every 1 million years.
    That's pretty slow.

But, other research says the opposite.
    http://www.livescience.com/9313-eart...-confirms.html

What are we to believe?
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 11-16-2012 at 5:38 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Diamonds don't melt, they burn up. They are solid carbon.