Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Equator

Equator

I got a Question for the college pro. if the Sun rotates once every 27 days at its Equator then how can you explain the Sun poles only rotate once every 31 days ?
    merry Christmas

Solar rotation is able to vary with latitude because the Sun is composed of a gaseous plasma. The rate of rotation is observed to be fastest at the equator.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_rotation
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

the last verse said Merry Christmas, I expect the answer to take that long because I do not understand the subject only the heat that the sun gives off

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    ....because I do not understand the subject....
    Think of the Sun as a blob of water in space. It's surface is not ridgid like a round rock would be. Since it's "wiggly" like water, some parts of the surface are affected more (or less) by the physics of rotation. No need to get hung up on the 'whys' of the physics. Just think 'water' compared to 'rock'.

Blog Entries
    the last verse said Merry Christmas, I expect the answer to take that long because I do not understand the subject only the heat that the sun gives off
    Ray,
    I think Myk nailed it exactly 10 minutes after you asked the question.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Ray,
    I think Myk nailed it exactly 10 minutes after you asked the question.
    How can the Sun be way bigger at the poles than at its Equator IS STILL the question of the day

How can the Sun be way bigger at the poles than at its Equator IS STILL the question of the day
    Still? You hadn't even asked a question about dimensions.

Think of the blob-of-water-Sun again, Ray. As the liquid Sun rotates, centrifugal force makes the blob of water grow wider at the equator. Spin it fast enough and it would be a giant dinner plate in space. Just remember: the Sun is not a ridged object and doesn't act as a solid ball. Even the Earth is not ridgedly solid; for the same reason, Earth's diameter is slightly more at the equator than at the poles as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Still? You hadn't even asked a question about dimensions.

Think of the blob-of-water-Sun again, Ray. As the liquid Sun rotates, centrifugal force makes the blob of water grow wider at the equator. Spin it fast enough and it would be a giant dinner plate in space. Just remember: the Sun is not a ridged object and doesn't act as a solid ball. Even the Earth is not ridgedly solid; for the same reason, Earth's diameter is slightly more at the equator than at the poles as well.
    Earth diameter at the Equator are close to 25000 miles but the two poles diameter are what 25 miles ?

Earth diameter at the Equator are close to 25000 miles but the two poles diameter are what 25 miles ?
    ????????????????????????

This is exaggerated, but any viscous ball in rotation will take on this shape.

clipart_oval_2.jpg
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 11-15-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    ????????????????????????

This is exaggerated, but any viscous ball in rotation will take on this shape.

clipart_oval_2.jpg
    mount a block of wood in your lathe between centers and turn to this shape then convince me the the biggest diameter will rotate once every 27 days while the two poles will take 4 extra days to rotate once , when a body rotate at two different speeds , something will explode

A block of wood will explode or shear, a ball of hot gas will not.

Blog Entries
    mount a block of wood in your lathe between centers and turn to this shape then convince me the the biggest diameter will rotate once every 27 days while the two poles will take 4 extra days to rotate once , when a body rotate at two different speeds , something will explode
    Do you consider the sun a solid body? If so, the rest of the discussion is moot.

A better analogy might be a water balloon. Spin it and you'll get the shape shown above. Of course, the analogy isn't perfect, because the balloon itself is a skin that doesn't exist in the sun, but the balloon's liquid interior is very much like the sun.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Do you consider the sun a solid body? If so, the rest of the discussion is moot.

A better analogy might be a water balloon. Spin it and you'll get the shape shown above. Of course, the analogy isn't perfect, because the balloon itself is a skin that doesn't exist in the sun, but the balloon's liquid interior is very much like the sun.
    they claim that the SUN temperature ARE OVER ONE MILLION degrees F, will diamonds melt at this temperature ?

they claim that the SUN temperature ARE OVER ONE MILLION degrees F, will diamonds melt at this temperature ?
    First you have to explain what you think the temperature of the sun has anything to do with how it rotates. Without that, this is just a random question.

Blog Entries
    Considering carbon can no longer hold its diamond crystalline form at temps over about 6500F under standard pressure, I think it's safe to say there aren't going to be any baubles for your honey rolling around in the sun.

Is there an actual inquiry mixed in here, or are you posting random facts about the sun and seeing how the rest of us respond?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5