Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Chestnut gloat and offer

American Chestnut gloat and offer

Well a friend of mine cut down an American Chestnut today and saved the logs for me to turn. I am almost sure it is American Chestnut and not Chinese. (Checked out the leaves and twigs with pictures off the Internet). It is rare to find one of these this large now. Several of the logs are 26" across. There is probable enough for 40 to 50 bowls. There is no way I will turn that much so I would like to offer some to any turners up in the North East Tennessee area. Would hate to see any of this go to waste. Don't have a clue how it turns or what it will look like. Maybe someone here has turned some and can tell us. If you are in the area and would like a blank or two let me know. I am also going to offer it to the local club members. Hopefully I can get it divided out to several turners. Oh I'm not asking anything for it just would like to see it put to good use!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

I'm far from local, but shipping is on me!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    I'm far from local, but shipping is on me!
    Jim sent you a PM.
    Sparky Paessler

Very kind of you, Sparky. Hope you get some takers.
    I drink, therefore I am.

If it is American Chestnut, it is rare as about all the trees have died, it will turn fine. Our club had what was left of a tree that was planted by J Sterling Morton, founder of Arbor Day. Many members got some of the wood and made many items out of it. It will turn somewhat like oak and has that look when finished. It is an open grain like oak. For sure do not let it go to waste.

Nice offer Sparky, wish I was in TN. Pretty rare tree indeed. Might be a repopulation tree.

I have turned this wood and it does turn well enough (agree it is not dissimilar to oak). My biggest problem was cracking during the drying process. Would be extra careful and use all the tricks you know to keep it intact. Good luck!

I would love a chunk and would also pay the shipping cost to denver

Allen, Jim and others that PM'ed me it looks like I can get a Flat Rate USPS box that will hold up to a 12" x 12" x 5 1/2" blank and ship it for $15.45. I am going to cut up the smaller pieces this weekend and will see what I have. Should have about a dozen or so that I would be willing to ship if you will pay for the postage. I will cut the blank round and coat it with at least one coat of sealer and put it in a plastic bag so it shouldn't crack. If you are intrested PM me with an address and I will send out as many as I have. Looks like 3 are spoken for so far.
    Sparky Paessler

PM sent Sparky. I will tell you I have only turned this material once, a piece gifted to me by Bob Rotche last spring. It turned beautifully. I took cautions per Bob's recommendations and rough turned it, sealed the outside with several coats of shellac (or lacquer...can't recall), then into a bag for many months. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=chestnut
    I may have got lucky...but am willing to give it another go for sure.
    Last edited by Tim Rinehart; 11-15-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Sparky,
    I will send a PM with contact info but wanted to go on record as wanting some also. I'm in central North Carolina so it should ship just fine. Do you want to do paypal ?
    Greg

Sparky, I'm in too, PM sent! Thank you for this generous offer!

pm sent sparky

I roughed out a 14" bowl out of it last night about 7" tall and it turned really well. I had read that it contained a lot of Tannic acid and it did turn the lathe ways and toolrest blue and also a little of my hands. It is soaking in DNA right now. will try to get a picture and post it tonight. looks like nice wood!
    Sparky Paessler

Well I got most of the American Chestnut cut up into blanks. Got all the blanks I'm shipping boxed up and they are going to the PO today! Here are some of them boxed up ready to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler