Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1st Fiver

Great job Kathy!! Sounds like a lot of work, But it sure looks like it was worth the effort.

Kathy, I'd say you might be starting to get a hang of that corer...
    I drink, therefore I am.

What a beautiful set of bowls, Kathy!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

You did good! Love turning Cherry and for you to create a 5 bowl set.... is great! Really good looking bowls! I would say you have the coring process figured out pretty good!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great 5 bowls! Great work!

Nicely done. That's a real accomplishment to be proud of.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Kathy like everyone else said great gob.

Wood work and magic trick in one . You are taking the "save the trees " thing to a higher level.

Thanks everyone!
    I was very happy to have gotten 5 bowls, especially since none of them were funnels . I may be starting to get the hang of it, but I'm a long way from Reed's expertise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Nice set K! Posting pics like this make me tempted to get a coring rig ........this crazy vortex seems to have no bottom to it! I have resisted so far.......I have more wood than I can seem to find time to turn, but getting sets like this well..........oh my poor wallet!
    Roger, resistance is futile so just relax, get out the credit card and place your order .
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    Definitely impressive. I'm still in the foursy club. I suspect going after the biggest first and working down has the best overall odds of success and puts emphasis on the big stuff first. You caught on well it seems with this system, something that takes some finesse and preparation. What style tip is on your system, the 'pointy' variety or flat across? Mine is old style, flat across, but I hear differing opinions on which is best by those who use them alot.
    Tim, my tips are the pointed ones. I've never used the straight tips so can't compare. I've considered grinding mine flat, but so far I've just decided to stick with what I'm used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    I guess I'm going to have to get busy and start learning how to use my McNaughton. Tried it a few times but just didn't have the time or energy to work on the learning curve. Like Roger, I have enough big chunks of wood that I could really use it on. Your work has really inspired me Kathy, those bowls looks great. Thanks for sharing.
    Steve
    Steve, there's definitely a learning curve! I have both Reed's and Mahoney's videos which helped alot. It also helps to start with wood that's not to hard and something you don't care about if you ruin it.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Was the wood wet or dry? Nice looking set, well proportioned and scaled well. Are you going to sell it, use it, or display it?

Wow! Very impressive. As others have said, I have toyed around with the idea of a coring system. There is just so much wood loss from large blanks it seems silly not to salvage it. Then I look at the price..... However, your post may be just the thing to push me over that cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Was the wood wet or dry? Nice looking set, well proportioned and scaled well. Are you going to sell it, use it, or display it?
    Thanks Pat! The wood seemed fairly dry or at least more dry than wet. I think I'll be giving the set to my mom for christmas. We'll have to see if she's been naughty or nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Vroman View Post
    Wow! Very impressive. As others have said, I have toyed around with the idea of a coring system. There is just so much wood loss from large blanks it seems silly not to salvage it. Then I look at the price..... However, your post may be just the thing to push me over that cliff.
    Thanks Robert! Go ahead, it's just one little step deeper into the vortex
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

If you want a simple coring system, the Woodcut is as simple as it gets, but not really suitable for removing cores more than 10 to at most 12 inch diameter. If you want the McNaughton, you can easily core probably 95% of any bowls you will ever do with just the standard set of blades. If you sell, maybe 3 cored sets will pay for the system.

One can never have too many toys.

robo hippy

Well done. That set looks very good. There is something about nested bowls that I find very cool. Probably why Mahoney is one of my fav's. At this rate I can't wait to see what you do with a really nice natural edge set. Keep bangin it out Kath.