Thread: Can anyone identify this drill press?

Can anyone identify this drill press?

Is it worth $200?? Has a fancy milling vise that I probably wont use.

Sadly, I'm young enough to have always associated craftsman with cheap china junk but this looks old enough to deserve a second look.

Thanks!

For $200, yes I'd grab it right away. I think it's a 150 series model. Mid-1950s vintage.

It's a late 40's or early 50's Craftsman 150 Series drill press like one that I once had. I was the third owner, so I can't really tell you a whole lot of history about it. I believe that King-Seeley was the manufacturer. The one that I had was in cosmetically rough shape by the time that I got it. It was a under powered and it only had 4 speeds, but it drilled holes in wood OK. It was just too fast and under powered to do much, if any, metal working with it. The table has only the clamp to hold it in place on the post, so changing the table height requires holding onto the table, loosening the clamp, wrestling the table up or down the post to the desired height and then re-tightening the clamp. There is no rack gear lift or table counterweight provided in the design. This made me do anything that I could to avoid moving the table height if at all possible, even to the point of building a few boxes to stack on the table so I could lift my work up to the correct position for drilling. I liked the depth stop better than the one on my new drill press though.

A couple of years ago I got a great deal on a new Delta drill press close-out at Lowes and sold the old Craftsman for $100.

Charley
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 11-15-2012 at 8:47 AM.

With a little work, it could look like this one. Owned by Dave Lopez at OWWM.
    I would offer $150 and see what happens.

8531-A.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've seen lots of these working day in and day out in commercial shops for years on end. Even had one myself at one point. They are simple and well built, probably better than most new DPs under 1k. Price seems a little high to me though. I would come in at $100 and haggle up to $140 or so.

Thanks everyone...my biggest concern is getting enough power. Right now I have a benchtop B&D and it wont drive a 3/4 forstner bit THe motor and belt keep turning but the chuck stops. I guess thats a safety mechanism.... I want something that will drive a 1.5" forstner so I'm thinking I need 1 HP. I found a more recent model Craftsman...12 speed, 15 in., 1 HP for $300. I think I may go for that one...I really like old tools though.

Bill,
    If you can, check the quill for play. Extend the quill at least half way and lightly push and pull on the chuck. If it's more than just a little (.010") it may be a $200 boat anchor. Fixing this problem can be a bit difficult.
    If that looks good it might be a good deal and a fun resore project.
    Jay

Bill, have you checked the tension of the belts on your b&d to make sure they are tight enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Bill, have you checked the tension of the belts on your b&d to make sure they are tight enough?
    yep, I have them cranked as tight as they will go. The motor, belt and wheel above the spindle continue to spin, its the chuck that slows down and stops when I use a large bit.

Making the belt that tight will wear out the bearings in short order.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Making the belt that tight will wear out the bearings in short order.
    I just did that yesterday to try to squeeze a little more juice out of it. i think I paid $20 for at a HD closeout. Its perfect for small stuff but I'm building a workbench need to hog out some big mortises.

The 12 speed Delta would be the way that I would go....wait, I did go that way!

The newer Deltas with the 12 speeds and the 1 hp motor you will be able to turn forstner bits up to about 3" or more (Woodline carries them). The table on the new Deltas (the squared off table design) will tip side to side and also tilt toward you with easy under the table adjustments and locks. It also comes with a laser unit thats semi useless.

Charley