Thread: Laguna LT-18 with 1.5hp

Laguna LT-18 with 1.5hp

Early on, Laguna apparently sold a LT-18 bandsaw with a 1.5hp motor. Does anyone know if it is switchable to 110v? If not, would it make sense to put a 110v 1.5hp motor on it? (In case you couldn't guess, I only have 110 in my shop.)

Yes you can get a 110v 1.5hp motor. However I would consider staying with the 220 if you can. Both motors will consume the same power but the 220 will give you smoother performance. Have you looked at your service box to see if 220 if available? The cost of an electrician installing a 220 outlet may be cheaper than a new motor.

I have an LT-18. The plate on the motor indicates that it draws 15 amps at 220 volts. How does that convert to 110 volts?

Chris
    Chris

if it is a 1.5HP motor most likely it is in and around 15amp at 120V and you should be able to run it on a 20amp circuit.
    There is NO difference how smooth it runs on 120 or 220v, it just draws twice the amp at 120V (vs 220V).

Chris, is yours a 1.5hp motor? If so, has it worked well with the saw? No doubt that the more standard 3hp would be better, I'm just wondering whether 1.5hp is adequate.

And yes, I would love 220v in the shop, but it is detached from the house, and I'm guessing running a subpanel out there would be around a grand, and so I have to be content with work-arounds, at least for now.

I have the LT 18 with a 4.5 HP motor. IMHO, that is the right motor for this saw. It has enough power to resaw through some big chunks of exotic lumber. I am skeptical that 1.5 HP would give you enough power to take advantage of the capacity that a machine this size offers. If you only have access to 110 power, that really limits you. If it were me, I would definitely install 220. If I were to go with the saw you describe, I would upgrade the motor.

Kinda like my deltta homecraft 10" bandsaw with a 1/4hp motor. I replaced it with with a 1hp and it is much better
    Cutting rough stock lumber is like scrambling an egg, there is no going back

Blog Entries
    But, to answer your original question, I would definitely call Laguna on this one. I found them very helpful when I was looking at a used Laguna 18. Long run, you'll be happier with more horses, but you can always upgrade the motor later if the price is right now.
    You might be able to get 220 to your hop a lot cheaper than a grand if you do the trenching yourself. Funny how in school they always threatened that if we didn't persevere we'd be digging ditches. Two advanced degrees later I still find myself outside digging ditches with a shovel while my electrician has a ditch witch. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Bill ThompsonNM View Post
    You might be able to get 220 to your hop a lot cheaper than a grand if you do the trenching yourself.
    Be careful or your yard will end up looking like this:

photo (14).jpg

The objective of all this is better power to the shop.

Indeed, the back end of a shovel doesnt really care how many degrees you have.....

If you are considering upgrading, make a post in the workshops explaining what you want to do and you would get some great feedback on what its likely to cost. Having said that, a 1.5hp motor is a 1.5hp motor - switching to 220 isnt going to make it any more powerful unless you are experiencing voltage drops due to a long extension run.

I have an LT18 with a 4.5hp motor, and agree its the right size (would not want any smaller). You wont be able to take advantage of a saw that size, but at the same time there isnt any fundamental reason it wont work, just not for the heavier/harder cuts. And buy good sharp blades, these will make a big difference!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. If I do go ahead with this, it will replace a Jet 14" 1hp saw. Just trying to figure out if it will be worth the money and effort. Anyone know a good place online to look for used motors?
    Last edited by Christopher Morgan; 11-17-2012 at 9:16 PM.

You need to find out the frame size if the bolt holes are to match. I'm not sure that the LT 18 with the 4.5 hp motors aren't built heavier than the older models. Laguna switched to ACM sourced LT 18 in the late nineties and I thought they came with a 3 hp euro motor. They were lighter than what is sold now but heavier than the Sagitari (sp)? it replaced. They were kind of green as I remember and not a resaw machine. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    You need to find out the frame size if the bolt holes are to match. I'm not sure that the LT 18 with the 4.5 hp motors aren't built heavier than the older models. Laguna switched to ACM sourced LT 18 in the late nineties and I thought they came with a 3 hp euro motor. They were lighter than what is sold now but heavier than the Sagitari (sp)? it replaced. They were kind of green as I remember and not a resaw machine. Dave
    Right. The one I am looking at is green and yellow, and may have a 1.8hp Italian motor. So it probably pre-dates the ACM machines. How do you think it might compare to, say, a new Grizzly 513 series?
    Last edited by Christopher Morgan; 11-18-2012 at 10:39 AM.

24 inch ruler.jpg2 faces.jpgFor comparison purposes, I built a bandmill with a 2 HP electric motor, presently sawing 16" X 14" cants out of green ash logs........Would 50 HP be faster? Of course, does 2 HP work.........Yes.

P.S. The front blade guards are off because I had to put a new blade in it, found a big nail on the one pass I didn't use my metal detector.......DOH!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Morgan View Post
    Right. The one I am looking at is green and yellow, and may have a 1.8hp Italian motor. So it probably pre-dates the ACM machines. How do you think it might compare to, say, a new Grizzly 513 series?
    Comparisons are almost impossible without knowing the way the frame is built. The Green and yellow ones were lighter than the ACM and I don't think the ACM were great resaw machines. OK but not great and didn't tension a Lenox Trimaster wider than 1/2". A 3/4 did work but not like on a stronger saw. I think the saw you are looking at would be a great small blade saw but would wait for a used Italian before buying anything Grizzly has in the same price range. The green and yellow saw is 800-1000 in the used market. Dave

You will likely need a vfd to get from 110 to three phase or bury a line. I think you will be adding power in the future anyway as you will quickly tire of the 110.