Thread: Subpanel feed

Subpanel feed

I am trying to think through getting a subpanel in my shop. (I am tired of tripping the one circuit that runs everything out there now -- which happens more now that it is cold -- and having 220 sure would be nice.) The shop is separate from our house, but is connected to it by a carport. Anyone know whether running the feed cable in conduit that goes out from basement up the side of the house along under the carport soffit and into the shop is likely to be code-compliant?

100% compliant. Use sch.40 PVC, cheap and easy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    100% compliant. Use sch.40 PVC, cheap and easy to work with.
    That's good news. How about a separate ground? I think that detached buildings need their own grounds, but goes a building connected to the house by a carport typically count as detached?

Make sure the conduit is large enough for the cable per code requirements.

You will most likely need to run a ground to the subpanel, but I confess this is a requirement that I am not well versed in so you might want to ask the inspector before you start work. A common cable to use would be NM-B 6-3 which you can feed from a 60A breaker and has a #10 ground wire in it.

I had to ask an electrician friend that helped me out with my sub panel install, and if the shop building is considered just that, a separate building, then it is required to have a separate ground. I believe that even if they share a common roof, if the walls are completely independent then a separate ground is required. Mind you, YMMV depending on your local inspector. It might help to actually talk to your building code dept to find out if they consider that attached or detached... I don't think they will ding you if you have a dedicated ground for the outbuilding. I think they just consider that good form...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meliza View Post
    Make sure the conduit is large enough for the cable per code requirements.

You will most likely need to run a ground to the subpanel, but I confess this is a requirement that I am not well versed in so you might want to ask the inspector before you start work. A common cable to use would be NM-B 6-3 which you can feed from a 60A breaker and has a #10 ground wire in it.
    NM cable cannot be run outside a building in conduit, the NEC considers outdoors a wet location & NM cable is allowed in dry locations only.