Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to hang sheetrock on the walls with no help.

For a sizable job, buy the drywall from a commercial supplier if possible. They will deliver it to your shop floor. This will eliminate at least three handlings of the rock vs buying it from the big box stores.

As for vertical vs horizontal seems showing; if done right you won't see the seems, if done wrong you will see the seems either way.

Since this is a shop, why not use plywood?

Hide or cover up the tools, borrow a Rotweiller for show, have the wife make an appearance toting a shotgun, and get some labor to help you put it up. It will take you forever by yourself.

Rick Potter

The lee valley jack is handy, especially if doing it on your own. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...56,43389,41756

If I had to do it alone, I'd probably go vertical with a jack.

C

USG Ultralight Sheetrock http://www.usg.com/sheetrock-ultrali...um-panels.html

up to 30% lighter (and stronger too) pound for pound than the regular stuff.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 11-17-2012 at 4:31 PM. Reason: Emphasis
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I've sheetrocked (horizontally) by myself. It's not that hard. Make yourself a "T" out of 2 x 4s. Lean the T against the wall. Lift the drywall sheet up against the wall up high. Kick the T so it jambs the sheet up to the ceiling. Screw the panel down.

That T idea was good, Mark. I rocked my shop by myself, 9' walls, I laid out the studs onto the sheet and started a few nails, had my hammer handy, and held the sheet against the top and as quickly as possible drove in about 3 nails. Then I got the drill and put screws in the rest of the panel. Of course I glued the studs first, and so only screwed every other stud. Checked every joint before hanging the sr to see if I needed shims, and taping the butts was easy. The shims go next to the joint so you have a hollow area to fill. As in 16" on each side of the joint. Whether you use wide sheets or a filler strip in the middle, wide sheets make it easier, although more of a load if you are hanging it by yourself. Use sr shims if you decide to use the strip, just a little square at the top of each tapered edge will push it out so taping a raw edge isn't bad.

Last summer I sheeted my house in plasterboard ( Sheetrock) for the most part by myself. The house is block built and the board was mounted vertically on batons. I found that manoeuvring the boards into the house from the drive was the hardest work. I put them standing on the floor and lifted them slightly at the same time kicking a wedge beneath to snug them to the ceiling. One hand securing the board and the other reaching for the driver and two screws hold the board.
    i built a workshop this summer but I am using 3/4" ply that I used to construct a temporary shed to sheet out the interior of the workshop. The ply will resist damage easier and give me endless mounting options for cabinets, tools etc.

+1 on ultralight sheetrock,I did all shop by myself two years ago.
    Jaromir

Well, David - you missed it. We jacked the garage roof up 6" on the southwest corner. Took 3 posts out and put 5 back in their place. I guess my sheetrock screw gun won't be getting a workout any time soon!

(I like that "T" idea too)

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    In commercial construction we stand sheet rock up 1 man can drywall that way
    And there is no butt joints either!

get some friends and offer beer and food
    Carpe Lignum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Olver View Post
    The lee valley jack is handy, especially if doing it on your own. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...56,43389,41756

If I had to do it alone, I'd probably go vertical with a jack.

C
    "This product is no longer available"
    Last edited by Mike Cogswell; 11-28-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cogswell View Post
    "This product is no longer available"
    Would a flat pry bar work? I know Stanley makes one and I'm sure there are others too. When I've done this, I used spacers under the sheetrock to get it as tight as possible to the top. Its probably not going to be perfect (furniture quality joint). Your going to mud and tape the top corner too, right?

If you go to a sr distributor, they have a tool made to hold the rock up with your foot. It has a loop on top so you can stick your foot in it, and poke it under the sheet, then you stand on the back of it and it will hold the rock up off the floor maybe 1 to 2 ". It's a little clumsy at first but you get used to it. It's for standing rock up and hanging it by yourself.