Thread: woodtek 109352 drum sander

Question woodtek 109352 drum sander

woodtek dual drum sander $1216 shipped from woodworkers supply .anyone own one.looks like most are made in the same factory.pros and cons.i know its not a woodmaster.

Blog Entries
    I've got a little wood trek drill press I inherited from my dad. It's very nicely made, it's nice enough that if I didn't have a Woodmaster sander, woodtek would definitely be on my short list. Probably from t&e same factories as other Chinese made tools, but sometimes it's the specifications that count.

It never fails. Whenever I purchase a machine or tool, the same company sells it later for a much reduced price. I have had this machine since June 2011. Upgraded from a Performax 16-32. This 25" sander has lots of power but it is not a planer. It is not intended to remove lots of wood like a surface planer, so use it to make shallow passes to clean up the surface. I use mine after boards have taken a trip through the planer to smooth planer marks; the ones that look like a washboard. Leaves a smooth, ready to work surface. I go directly to the RO sander with 150 grit before gluing the project.
    If you do get this machine, remember this piece of info. Do not run a piece of pine through the sander as a first test of the machine. I did this and had to change both of the belts after the pitch from the soft pine got deposited onto the sanding belts. Lesson learned the hard way, but not forgotten. These 25" sanders must be made in the same factory, as they all share similar features with slight differences, such as color and base configuration. This fact is what led me to the Woodworkers Supply offering. Could not beat the price anywhere. Get it if you got the moolah.

thanks for the reply mike and bill.

I have a grizzly 24" Z series. 5hp. Hook and loop. No issues whatsoever and it's served me well.

Was going to sell it since I upgraded. Believe I paid around $2200 for it. Then tax. Was going ask more for it used than $1216. Guess I will be rethinking this price.

As mentioned, it seems like they are all very similar in the fundamentals.