Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why buy a bandsaw when you can build one? Pre-Gloat

Grizzly has a 14" bandsaw, complete, stand motor and all for $325. I'd wager that it was built in the same factory from the same parts. Just take a look at the photo on the Grizzly site and compare the castings, table and stamped sheet metal covers. Only difference I see is the diamond shaped indentations on the upper wheel cover, other than that and green paint, it looks like the same machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    So cost wise i am here:

14" Delta bandsaw (top only) $395 shipped
    6" Delta riser Kit $79 shipped
    1.5HP Leeson motor $180 shipped.
    Rockler 18 amp power switch $14 shipped (already have it)
    Delta mobile base and wood bandsaw stand $0 (already have everything to make this part)

Still need to get a 2" pulley and link belt..(guessing $50 or less)

Grand total will be a tad over $700 I don't see another bandsaw that is better than this for under $700....now I just need a weekend to put it all together. If anyone has built a bandsaw stand i would love to hear about it. I'm thinking it will be not much more than a very sturdy box with a door and some vent holes for the motor. I will build the mobile base right into it using the parts from my old delta mobile base.

So far no surprises. I was at woodcraft today and saw a 14" delta x5 with riser kit and mobile stand and it was over $1400 with tax and I don't see how it was going to be any better. The salesman was not impressed with my comparison
    How about this one? http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G1073&

I gave this a lot of thought over the weekend Tim....I think you need to add $500 of value for the satisfaction that you did it yourself. This makes your $700 Bandsaw worth $1200.

Comments like "Wow...You MADE that??!!" are priceless.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Sounds like you have the right idea for the motor. Here is a shot of from the owners manual of my 14" Jet...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a jet base coming from Domonic Greco, and am going to get the riser block from Amazon, and timberwolf blades from Suffolk machinery. I have a 3/4hp delta bandsaw motor that I am thinking of using and have a delta mobile base kit that I havent used yet. I also have a Kreg fence system that I want to put on the saw, so will be selling the one that comes with it. I feel like Johnny Cash and his Cadillac!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McAtee
    Grizzly has a 14" bandsaw, complete, stand motor and all for $325. I'd wager that it was built in the same factory from the same parts. Just take a look at the photo on the Grizzly site and compare the castings, table and stamped sheet metal covers. Only difference I see is the diamond shaped indentations on the upper wheel cover, other than that and green paint, it looks like the same machine.

Actually this Delta is one of the last American built ones ... the new Deltas are all Chinese or Taiwan as are the grizz's ... that would be the one thing I would figure here ... it's worth the extra cash for the better saw. Now that said I ordered one, but I already have the motor, riserblock, switches & belts, so all I have to do is build the base and buy a couple of pulleys.. for me it's a no brainer.. butfrom Grizz for 695$ + shipping you can get a ShopFox 16" ... or an ultimate 14" + shipping for 500$ ..but neither will have 12" resaw and the Delta 14" has a great reputation... @ 700$ or so, it's a wash but with a 1.5 Lesson, this is a superior saw to the Grizz offerings IMNSHO... This delta has better guides than the grizz 14" too.. it's the equiv to the new Delta 28-248 except for the Tension release.. which sells for 900$

I plan to add some Iturra options eventually .. but I would do that with other saws too.. it's sorta like building a Killer Chevy 350 -- the best reason to work on it is that all the parts are made for it ... the Delta is the standard of 14" saws, everyone builds stuff to fit it first ...
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bollinger
    Sounds like you have the right idea for the motor. Here is a shot of from the owners manual of my 14" Jet...

That is how I have mine set-up. Only the motor is mounted to a board that slides up and down in a channel. I can lock it in place once I find the right tension.

I have run into my first snag....I called Delta tech support to find out about what they recommend as a pulley size for this bandsaw now that I am using a 1.5HP motor instead of a 1HP motor, and they won't say anything based on liability issues. So with a 1HP motor 1725RPM it uses a 2 1/4" pulley. Now that I am using a larger motor, where would I look to see if I can still use a 2 1/4" pulley? Next I asked her if I could buy a switch that comes on the 28-299 bandsaw and she quoted me $120 bucks for this:
    http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=139&p=2264
    I have a rockler 18amp on off router switch....why can't I use that? Or should I buy a magnetic switch from Grizzly? Or what other options should I look at?

Your pulley size is based on motor speed, not power. If the original motor used a particular set of pulley sizes and is the same RPM as your intended target motor, the pulley size would be the same assuming you wanted the same blade speed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Your pulley size is based on motor speed, not power. If the original motor used a particular set of pulley sizes and is the same RPM as your intended target motor, the pulley size would be the same assuming you wanted the same blade speed.

Well thats kind of what i was thinking too, but I thought I read someplace that HP played a factor as well....which of course would make no sense...but I thought I read it someplace.

Pulley size plays a part with HP when two pulleys are a different diameter. "Developed Horsepower" can be increased or decreased according to pulley size. There may also be considerations with regard to Overhung Loads where bearing and shaft strength may not be able to withstand the stresses experienced from the higher power delivery.
    ~john

John, do you think a half-horsepower is going to make any real difference in this? I've seen plenty of folks put a 1.5hp motor on these bandsaws as an "upgrade".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No Jim...I personally don't think it'll make a smidgen of difference. I was just trying to rationalize why Delta Tech support won't touch the subject. They would figure that if the shaft snapped, Tim would yell at them or something

I don't think there will be a problem...it could probably handle close to double
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    No Jim...I personally don't think it'll make a smidgen of difference. I was just trying to rationalize why Delta Tech support won't touch the subject. They would figure that if the shaft snapped, Tim would yell at them or something

I don't think there will be a problem...it could probably handle close to double

Me yell?? This is still fun for me...I'm thinking the saw will arrive in a couple days, not sure if the motor will be here for the weekend or not, but I still have plenty of work left before I need to put the motor on.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Pulley size plays a part with HP when two pulleys are a different diameter. "Developed Horsepower" can be increased or decreased according to pulley size. There may also be considerations with regard to Overhung Loads where bearing and shaft strength may not be able to withstand the stresses experienced from the higher power delivery.

So if I'm going err, should I err to the smaller size pulley? I'm not about to start throwing 12" cherry tree trunks though this bandsaw anytime soon.