Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyng a band saw - another question

Buyng a band saw - another question

Woodcraft is showing the Laguna 14" height 3hp at $1595, with a free re-saw blade, "Resaw King".
    Says the regular price for that blade is $216.
    Is that blade really worth that??
    Grizz saw blades are in the $20 range

Similar in Grizz is probably 514X2B
    The grizz has a bigger throat (don't think I care), but only 12" height, 2" less than the laguna (I think I do care about that.)
    I want the saw mostly for resaw, rip log lumber.

Thoughts on the Laguna?? Good/Bad??

I have found the Rk is great for resaw ing dry wood only.Green wood will kill it fast.Even 2x4 s from the Borg have enough pitch and moisture to dull it.Its a great blade just not much set.Thats been my experience.

Tom,

I am not familiar with either Laguna product so I won't comment.

If, however, you are new to bandsaws as I was a few years ago, I would like to recommend a book I find invaluable "The New Complete Guide To The Bandsaw" by Mark Duginske. It is a well written book with excellent detail on setups and very well illustrated. You can buy it at Amazon currently for $13.56.

It even has a chapter on buying a bandsaw and what to look for if you are buying a USED bandsaw. It's an excellent refernce I use regularly.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks guys
    Andrew, that's too bad about the green, was planning on sawing mostly green, and definitely not full dry.
    Also, I have always thought you get better results, less checking by cutting green wood (dries by side grain, not end grain)
    Are you saying just go with the standard $20 saw blades?

Ken, I put that book in the Amazon shopping cart.Thanks
    I do have a "baby" bandsaw - Delta Homecraft. I think it is 6"
    Like this http://www.old-woodworking-tools.net...-band-saw.html
    Bought it probably 35 years ago, garage sale (I was just a little snip)
    Want a real band saw in this life.

More comments on the grizz versus anything else?
    thanks!
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 11-16-2012 at 2:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fischer View Post
    ...Is that blade really worth that??
    Grizz saw blades are in the $20 range...
    That's because the Resaw King is a carbide tooth blade and given the large number of teeth on a BS blade they're pricey. As you might expect, they hold their edge a lot longer than steel and can produce a really smooth cut, though the kerf is wider. IMO the payoff isn't as great as with a carbide circ saw blades because the steel band material has to flex and is subject to eventual fatigue failure just like any other BS blade.
    - Tom

I just looked at the Laguna 14" at a Woodcraft store a few weeks ago. I'll have to say its a really nice saw for a 14". I hear a lot of great things about the resaw king blade also, and yes they are $200.00. As stated above this is a carbide tipped blade so it can be resharpened and will hold an edge longer.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Can't vouch for the Laguna, but I do own a Grizzly 514x2. It's not clear to me whether its 19" wheels are better than the Laguna's 14" ones, but this has to at least mean the Griz has a bigger footprint. It's big throat/table, and stability make it feel safe when muscling large pieces on it.

I like the beefiness of the Griz. It's done everything I've asked from resawing 12" slabs to cutting 12" thick, green logs.

You might send a PM to Van Huskey. He's been missing recently around these parts, but he has strong opinions about b-saws and seems familiar with a surprising number of models.

I will say that I tend to switch between blades. Given that, I prefer to have two or three good steel blades instead of one carbide blade. In fact, for 200, you can probably get 10 quality steel blades.

I am really not sure about the best blade for resawing green wood.I do know that the blade needs more set than usual. Or the dust packs around the blade and fills the kerf.I have been sawing cypress all week on my Saw its not fully dry and I have using wood master blade that's carbide tipped.The dust is hot on the tall resaws and I should get a different blade.But it's all I got right now.
    I have used resaw king blades they are nice.They work on the smaller wheels because the band is thin maybe .025 or something. Hope this helps. Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fischer View Post
    I do have a "baby" bandsaw - Delta Homecraft. I think it is 6"
    That would be a 10" saw. That particular one is pretty hefty for that size.

I use a 1/2" 3-4tpi blade for all my re-sawing on my 1966 Delta 14". Timberwolf blades are reasonably priced at Woofcraft.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've an Ag B-18 which came with a 1" carbide blade I use only for cutting veneer. Would not bother with a carbide blade except for veneer work. Otherwise, its 1/2 3 tpi bimetal blades (~$60 ea.), which i've found to last much longer than woodslicer or similar. I have no experience with the Laguna, but would be wary of a 14" machine if you plan to do heavy milling frequently. I certainly wouldn't base your decision on the free blade--you'll have your saw much longer than the blade...

Good luck!

Both bandsaws come with a 3HP motor, but the 19" wheels on the Grizzly should provide a lot more torque and momentum, making cutting easier. I have the 17" G0513X and love it. I will never go back to a 14", no matter how pretty it is, and the Laguna is certainly that. Years ago, I drooled when looking at the Laguna LT16. Get the Grizzly and you won't look back.

As for a blade to cut green wood, that is tough. Think I agree with the 1/2" to 3/4" 3tpi bimetal blades. I love the woodslicer blades, but they would probably gum up quickly on green wood.

Good luck.

Correct, that is a 10". Was typing faster than I was thinking.
    And I think the wheels are cast iron.
    It's still a decent saw, but very small.
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 11-17-2012 at 6:39 AM.

"but the 19" wheels on the Grizzly should provide a lot more torque and momentum"

Hadn't thought much about that, but that probably makes the deal. Thanks also to Prashun for pointing that out.
    I bought a three point hitch chipper shredder a few years ago, the marketing stuff talked a lot about the weight of the flywheel.
    It is very important.

In the past there have been comments about cabide tipped blades not being suitable to a 14" saw due to the excessive flex resulting from the smaller wheel diameter. I don't whether that still holds, but is something to consider as well. The blade manufacturers would be the best authorities on that issue. The bigger throat is always welcome if you will be doing curved cuts on any larger pieces. Nothing worse than getting part way through a cut and realizing you can't swing the work piece due to insufficient depth.

I have a 514X2 and am familiar with the Laguna at Woodcraft. The 514 would be my first choice. Actually, a MiniMax MM16 would be my first choice...lol...but other than that, the 514 is a nice bandsaw. I run a Resaw King on mine. I had significant problems getting working blades, but now that I do I am incredibly impressed with the finish. If you feed consistently, you will get a finish BETTER than straight out of a planer, and that's not an exaggeration. It basically cuts almost like a table saw.