Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma (possible future Gloat)

Blog Entries

Dilemma (possible future Gloat)

This weekend while helping my son do crown molding in his bedroom the discussion, since we were having trouble and it was taking far longer than the two LOML's thought it should, got around to a compound miter saw.

On the way home, LOML suggested that if I sold my radial arm saw I should replace it with a sliding compound miter saw. I agree that the radial arm saw should probably be sold since it doesn't get used much. Still I've had the saw for a ong time and everyone hates getting rid of a tool. No it isn't possible to have both. They wouldn't fit in the shop and LOML was clear "one or the other".

I know little about the new slidnig saws. In the $200-250 price range, can I get a (a) good; (b) decent; or (c) better add a few hundred bucks if you want a good saw. Any thoughts or ideas on which sliding compound miter saw should replace it.

Added note: I will still have my table saw and bandsaw so selling the RAS doesn't leave me sawless.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-05-2003 at 3:11 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Cool

Lee, I recently got a Makita LS1013 that I have quickly fallen in love with. It will set you back about twice what you stated (200 to 250). It does crosscut a 12" board at 90 degrees. The saw also was very accurately set up right out of the box. Here's one vote for the Makita. I have also heard good things about the DeWalt SCMS.
    Dave in West TN

Lee:

About the only thing I can think of that you would not be able to do on a SCMS that you can do on RAS is use a dado blade. The arbor is not big enough. This, of course, doesn't include all of the other stuff that a radial arm saw can do but is better done with other tools (ripping, for instance).

I've been permitted to keep both the RAS and SCMS. Obviously, your Mrs. just doesn't understand the bond that is formed between a man and his tools.

My brother has a Makita 12" which I like a bunch. DeWalt was givin' away free stuff with the purchase of their saws when I was shopping for a new saw so I got a DeWalt. Absent any of those outside influencers, I probably would have bought the Makita.

I've had my DeWalt for a little more than a year. It needed some tweaking out of the box to get everything set accurately. Other than that, I have no complaints.

-Kevin
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Thumbs up Makita LS1013

I bought my LS 1013 SCMS from Amazon over a year ago. I am very happy with it. I have it mounted on the StableMate folding stand. I don't know if you would like it, however.

You see, when you cut a pair of 45s, you can put them together for an exact 90. Then also, the darn cut surface is so smooth that you want to sand it for the glue to stick It makes you want to take a hammer to your old hand operated miter box Other things that will happen is that your frequency of cussing will go down, the flinging of things at hand will go away. So, Lee, if you want to stay closer to the basics, stay away from the LS1013, it will ruin you

Yes, if I were you, I would go with one of the 100-200 dollar saws where you can still have the joy of tuning up your miter cuts after using the saw.

Best Regards, Ken

Lee.....The next CMS I get will be the Hitachi 10" SCMS that has all the latest fixes to the old style saw and a laser guide on it. Terry just got one of these saws at the local Lowe's store and it is really a sweet saw. Runs around $479.00 at Lowes.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I've got the DeWalt, and like it until it's necessary to tilt it. Very difficult to adjust from the front, especially with any degree of accuracy. For this reason alone I'll look at something else next time.

KC

I read numerous reviews and went back and forth between Hitachi, Bosch and Makita. I fell into the Makita camp just last month. I had used one that belonged to a friend, and couldn't wait to dump my old compound saw. Picked up the 10" on E-bay, new in the box. There have been a number of them for sale as well as some re-conditioned.

You may want to look at the new Delta twin-laser. It projects a line on both sides of the blade to facilitate cuts from either side.

Don't know any of the other particulars.
    Chris in KC

Lee,

As Dennis said, I have the new Hitachi 10" SCMS with the laser. I have been totally impressed with it. I was torn between the Makita and the Hitachi, but decided to go with the Hitachi. I'm sure both saws are great. If you look back for previous posts, I have a review of the saw and a dust collection post also. Honestly I love this saw!!! I feel it was a great buy for $497 at my local Lowes.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lee,

I bought the Makita and let my old favorite Dewalt retire. When I gave up my shop in favor of a third bay in the garage, a few things just had to go.

The Makita is great, works well, but I still miss my dewalt. Wish I would have kept it as got little return and I used it all the time. Part of the problem is my dewalt had a big huge table with wings, was always there and ready, and easy to use. I mounted the Makita on its own roll around with the bed the same height that I set my table saw, shaper, joiner, and mortising tables. That gives me all kinds of auxillary tables, but the bottom line is they are always covered in projects, so my setup for the Makita is really a little too small. One of these days I'll make it a couple of wings with struts that will hold those wings steady.

Anyhow, it is doable, but I still bet you will miss your RAS if you have had and used one for a long time. There is just a whole bunch you can do with them.

bill

Thumbs up

Makita 1013- I think that Northern tool has reconditioned ones for $379. I love mine. I've had it a little over a year. If you ever get to Pittsburgh the Makita service center is buy the Great Northern Shopping Mall (McKnight Road and Babcock Bvld)and they sell reconditioned tools.

No relationship.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Lee, I really like my DeWalt 708 SCMS. True, I did have to do a little fiddling out of the box to get it accurate, but 4 years later, I haven't had to touch it again. KC is right that the bevel adjustment is a little tricky, but still not too bad. I put in a DeWalt Series 60 crosscut blade and have baby's-bottom smooth cuts now. The stock blade was okay, but now that blade is relegated to PT lumber and plywood.

Just my 2¢,
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Hi Lee

This isn't fancy but my shop is small & I have both a 12" RAS which was may Dad's & a 12" CMS . I use the RAS for wide cross cutting. Most of the time I use the CMS. The system I made adjusts from about 53" to 83" as you can see I turn the RAS sideways & set the CMS on the RAS table it works great. It is made of 2x material & 1/2" plywood & is portable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

George@Colonel's Workshop Guest
    Good Evening Lee,

Selling my RAS was one of my good decisions, and I have been more than happy using a SCMS for angle work. There seems to be a few really good ones out there. My #3 son Ken bought himself the DeWalt Slider. He is a finish carpenter, and the saw is kept in his truck or on site. It is accurate and tough. If you are going to be in our area soon, I could arrange a test drive, as Ken lives fairly close. You may prefer to use a smaller version. Mine is 8 1/2", and I seldom, if ever, need more capacity for the work I do. I would probably replace my small Ryobi SCMS with a 10 inch if and when that step is necessary. I don't know what I'd buy, as I think they are all excellent. Any cross cutting can easily be done on your table saw, and so can your dado/rabbet work

Paul Kunkel Guest

Buy Used

Originally posted by Kevin Post
    Lee:

About the only thing I can think of that you would not be able to do on a SCMS that you can do on RAS is use a dado blade. The arbor is not big enough. ---------------------------
    There's still a lot of good used Delta Sawbucks out there-check the papers. 16 1/2" at 90* and 12+ at a 45* and compound to boot. Crown instructions right on the table. Put a Forrest on it and you'll wonder what factory the wood came from!
    It will take a 6" dadoe if you insist, but a table saw is much better for thet function. Ask me for more info if you're interested. See my Shop tour for a pic
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-07-2003 at 9:28 AM.