Thread: Pricing

Pricing

I am finishing a cherry burl bowl and am thinking of selling it. I have a coat of walnut oil on so for no. I am thinking of doing one more coat of walnut oil then some wax. I have no idea on what kind of price to ask for it if I decide to sell it. anyone have any pricing ideas? It is about 10" across and about 3" tall. Sides are about 1/4 inch thick with the bottom getting thicker. This is the first burl bowl I have done.
    Had a walnut root ball bowl almost done before I broke it. Oh well still have some more of the root ball left for another try! Pictures were taken with my cell phone so they are not the best pics.

1117210056.jpg1117210126.jpg

Ron - Welcome to the Creek!

Good looking bowl! Seeing as how this one won't hold soup... you can call it art and possibly get a higher price. Pricing ... well, that really depends on where you live and what the normal going rate is in that area. Up here, utilitarian bowls go for $8 to $10 per inch and sometimes higher, depending on the wood. Best advice would be to get with your local turning club members and find out what they sell their bowls for. Good luck!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Welcome to SMC. I agree with Steve that it would be art. Depending on what part of the country you are in will most certainly determine what you can get. I know a friend of mine in NC can get more for bowls than I can. He gets like Steve $8 to $10 per inch. Here I maybe can get $5 to $6 per inch. So like Steve suggested get with some turners experienced with rates in your area.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Welcome Ron. What Steve and Bernie said seems right on track. I have to say that size is not the ultimate factor. Finish has a lot to do with it. If you've got tool or sanding marks, that could hurt your pricing, especially in an "art" piece. Some people get away with it on utilitarian bowls because they market their bowls that have tooling marks as "rustic". I would say that "art" pieces need to be finished very smooth and clean. That's my opinion anyway... So, price appropiately for the level of finish (and I don't mean what you put on it, but rather how much attention to detail went into removing all tool and sanding marks) of your bowl. Best of luck!
    I drink, therefore I am.