Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

19 Nov 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
    It was a good weekend for me as I took some much needed time off from work and got some things done around the house that I needed to get done. I did make it out to the shop and turned some wood for a change. Our woodstove tool set needed new handles as the old pot metal ones had broken off and the LOML wanted to have handles on the tool set again. I went out to the shop and cranked up the lathe for the first time in a few years. It sure felt good to be back in the shop again and to be turning wood once more. I found out that I still lack good skill with the skew on the lathe but I managed to turn 3 handles that I needed to get done.

My hope is that I'll get back out there and make some more stuff while the temps are cool....I have natural gas heat in my shop, so my shop is really comfortable through the late fall until early summer. The LOML is happy about the handles on the tool set and I'm happy because I was in the shop for a while.

This is Thanksgiving week and I sure hope and pray that all of you have a great Thanksgiving with your family and friends. Celebrate well and be safe as always.
    That's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Cleaned up the shop, put a coat of wax on the TS, sanded down the out-feed table and put another coat of poly on it. Then my daughter and 2 grandsons wanted some target practice so we shot BB guns, a Ruger 10/22, a Ruger LCP, and a S&W 637. Daughter and grandsons are pretty good shots. You would not want my daughter shooting at you.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Went and grabbed a timer for my dryer. Still no *#$% heat. I have replaced everything I know to and it still doesn't work... Guess it is time for this thing to become scrap metal... Went to get my brother in law's boat from his ex wife (court mandated recovery etc...). Had some trouble with the loader. I haven't tried using the T post on the F150, but rather had it for my old Ranger. Apparently the F150 is just a teeny bit bigger. The 15' boat's bow ends just at the windshield when the stern is on the T post right... Had to rig foam blocks to the bow to make it all work right. I think I should have just stuffed it in the bed strapped it down tight and put a red flag on the end sticking out...

I now have 4 boats in my back yard. My BIL and I are talking about putting together a canoe hauler trailer so we can get these to / from the lakes / bayous more easily...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Figured out why I was having a heck of a time adjusting the fence for my crosscut sled for squre... it has a twist in it. ARGH.

Figured out how to do a little rearranging in my shop for a better miter saw station, or at least part way figured it out. Made a few DC plumbing changes, moved things, etc. In the process I'm planning to eliminate at least one clutter surface that was rarely used and put all my hardware right by my bench to same walking across the shop every time I need something.

I finished my storage bench project in the horse trailer this weekend and am pleased with the results.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and for those celebrating the US Thanksgiving holiday...um...don't eat too much. LOL I know I will
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

After literally almost 6 years I finally used my mortiser for some table legs. As per usual my table I was planning to build "real quick" between projects is turning out to be more complex than I first thought. I also spend most of the weekend chaufeuring my wife and MIL to various retail establishments.

Bought some steamed pear half slab, squared it up, after a couple of resaws and through the thickness planer ended up with some beautiful lumber. oh and I also put a dado on the wrong side of some framing for a picture frame so I'll be re-making them.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Log Supply.jpglog arch.jpg24 inch ruler.jpg2 faces.jpg

Well, the Emerald Ash Borer has hit the ash trees in my townhouse complex so I'm "making hay while the sun shines" or something similar.

I built the log arch and saw mill (The Binford 500) because well, it's so Tim Allen and will handle a 500mm log. The two very stylish blade guards made out of pegboard aren't on the saw because I was in the process of changing the blade.

I think I'll have about 1,000 BF of ash, most flat sawn for flooring, about 200BF quarter sawn for cabinets............Rod.

Rod, do you have more info on the mill you built?

I have been varnishing the Christmas project (s) off and on all weekend.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I built the log arch and saw mill (The Binford 500) because well, it's so Tim Allen and will handle a 500mm log.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Magnuson View Post
    Rod, do you have more info on the mill you built?
    Ditto what Bob, said, Rod!
    This post deserves it's own thread! How long did it take to build that? Is this your first time using it? How fast does it cut? How do the neighbours tolerate the noise... it is a townhouse complex, so I'm guessing that you are packed in pretty tight! Tell us more!

Thanks
    ...art

ps: worked on some cutting boards, and sorted through some wood for an endtable project starting next weekend.
    "It's Not About You."

More work on my yard boulders. I pulled another two out this weekend in preparation for breaking them. One looks like a blue-whale breaching in my lawn - easily 10' long and 4' in diameter. I really can't stand these boulders and want them gone so that will be my winter project.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Hi Art and Bob, the mill wasn't planned on my part, I had a co-worker coming into my office every couple of weeks wanting me to help design and build a chain saw mill for him.

Now, I'm a pretty lazy guy, who knows that ripping hardwood with a chainsaw is a job for a someone strong of back, not lazy like me, so I said "how about we build a bandmill and split the cost"?

The mill had to be able to come apart and go into a minivan, and the pieces had to be light enough that I could lift it by myself.

It has quantity two, 2 metre beds, each section I can load into the van.

The mill itself has a 600mm X 500mm cut capacity (height x width).

Powerplant for Tom who will be using it in the bush is an 8 HP gas engine from a snowblower with a centrifugal clutch, for me a 2 HP 3 phase motor driven by a VFD programmed to run it as a 3 HP motor.

The wheels and blade tensioning mechanism are from a Steel City 18" bandsaw, I contacted a couple of machinery suppliers and they had a damaged machine that they sold the parts from for about $400.

The machine cuts fine, the logs are in the 600mm range, resulting in cants about 400mm square.

Once the logs are done, the machine will go to Tom, never to be seen by me again as I'll never have any further use for it.

It's nice to see the wood being used as opposed to being chipped, I gave some to Frank Pellow who will use it also.

Once all the sawing is done I'll post a photo of the stack.

The log arch works great, however past about 600 pounds I can't pull the log up the slope of my driveway without help, on flat surfces it's fine.

regards, Rod.

Firewood.jpg

P.S. Some slabs from the cant making process.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 11-20-2012 at 3:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Log Supply.jpglog arch.jpg24 inch ruler.jpg2 faces.jpg

Well, the Emerald Ash Borer has hit the ash trees in my townhouse complex so I'm "making hay while the sun shines" or something similar.

I built the log arch and saw mill (The Binford 500) because well, it's so Tim Allen and will handle a 500mm log. The two very stylish blade guards made out of pegboard aren't on the saw because I was in the process of changing the blade.

I think I'll have about 1,000 BF of ash, most flat sawn for flooring, about 200BF quarter sawn for cabinets............Rod.
    Fricking radical! Love it also the fact that your neighbors are so co-operative LOL