Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench length. Is it possible to be too long?

Bench length. Is it possible to be too long?

I am really starting to consider building myself a decent bench for hand work and wanted to get some opinions. I have a general bench that was setup as an outfeed to the table saw and is the same height of the router table.

However, I no longer have a table saw and use the router table less and less. By my posting here, I am heading more and more down the hand tool path. My current bench work holdings are not ideal at all and it is too tall for hand work IMO. The one vise I have on it is on the right face and is beginning to sag. It is having problems disengaging. So every time I need to hand plane something I long for a better bench.

I am the exception to most and have a lot of space that I could occupy with a bench. I have read all the talk about a bench can't be too long, but I am just not buying it yet. Without question my bench will be at least 8' long with a sliding deadman. I have extra bench screws that if I make it long enough I may even turn the deadman into a sliding face vise. This bench will most likely be accessible from all 4 sides, with only a slight chance of going against a wall.

I should add I don't have any set type of work I like to do. Whatever strikes me that day is what I will end up doing.

If space were not an issue, how long would you make your bench?

Anyone work on a bench longer than say 12'? If so, what was your thoughts?

Thanks
    Last edited by Josh Rudolph; 11-19-2012 at 8:55 PM.

Josh,

I have a benchtop that is 10' by 31&1/2" by 3&1/4" laminated maple.

I made it that big because I already had a low machinist table substructure (made of angle iron) almost that long and not quite that wide; lots of roughsawn maple timbers and two of the smallest Record quick-release metal vises.

I kept the benchtop in two pieces (each about 16" wide) just to made it possible assemble the thing and attached a Lee Valley twin screw vise on the end (again attaching it to the top and substructure in a way allowing for disassembly without having to break a glue joint). I put the two Record on the front of the bench, each one centered about 18" from the ends, allowing me to securing hold longer timbers.

No issues, other than the assembly (and possible disassembly) considerations with that much weight to move around. Yeah, it's a few extra steps to walk around to the other side of the bench.

The length certainly allows a couple/several different projects or steps to be occurring at the same time.

good luck

michael

I'm about to install a 30' long bench with 4 leg vises along one wall of our community boat shop. Mostly for more than one person at a time and general planking work.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

If space is not an issue, I would definitely build a bench 8-10 ft minimum in length, because you need that at times for long boards or mouldings. At some point (I am guessing around 12 feet or so), it is going to start to be more of a pain to always be walking around a really long bench (assuming it is located somewhere you would need to go around to the other side). Exactly where it becomes too long is going to depend on your space and the type of work you do. In general, longer is better, but there is a practical limit.

I also started out matching bench height to my table saw, router table, etc. As you have found, that generally means that your bench ends up being too high for hand tool work. I do like my bench higher than a traditional hand tool bench, but power tool height is high for planing. I would suggest you build the new bench at a comfortable height for hand tools, and not to match the other tools.

Hey Josh, I've been in a few spacious shops and what I've noticed is that rather than having one huge bench, folks have separate benches - using one mainly for hand tool work and another for assembly and finishing, perhaps another for a sharpening station or carving bench. In some cases the assembly benches sit a bit lower than a hand tool bench - some still have vises

If you are making cabinets and furniture, I doubt you will need more than 8' of length for any given project. When you mentioned a sliding face vice, are you anticipating a sliding leg vise? I've seen a couple of those posted here.

If you anticipate getting into boat building, then you might want a bench as long as your shop can hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    If space is not an issue, I would definitely build a bench 8-10 ft minimum in length, because you need that at times for long boards or mouldings. ...
    Ryan and I were responding at the same time. He just hit the enter key sooner than I did. I didn't think about the possibility of making crown or baseboard moldings. In that case, a longer bench would certainly be of benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    When you mentioned a sliding face vice, are you anticipating a sliding leg vise? I've seen a couple of those posted here.
    Yes...I am considering adding one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    If you anticipate getting into boat building, then you might want a bench as long as your shop can hold.
    I do have a wish list project of a cedar strip canoe which range in size but I think a standard size is around 16'. I am not sure I want a bench that big as 99% of my projects (assuming I don't find a niche in canoe building) would not utilize a bench that large and I am bad about filling horizontal surfaces with junk.

I am really leaning towards something around 12'. It will be large enough to accommodate nearly all projects and not be of the size that it is a pain to walk around. Now knowing how cheap I can be, the bench will likely be 11' something" as I will likely by 12' boards when the time comes. Or maybe buy 16'ers and use the cutoffs for something?

Most that have built the sliding leg vise thought it was a great idea at the time only to find out that it is just not used much at all. The screw limits the height versatility. A good leg vise and a deadman will cover almost all of your needs. When one of the rare moments come up that require being able to clamp to the dead man there is a device sold by Veritas called a "surface clamp" that fits into the holes on the deadman that will provide for this very infrequent need. I think I'd spend that time building a Moxon vise that would have multiple uses and can be used anywhere on the bench. In fact on a bench of that length you could leave the Moxon set up all the time.

Ron

In an original 18th.C. picture of a cabinet shop,the benches are very long. But,they are making a lot of architectural woodwork from the templets hanging on the wall.

We were given a 16' bench at work. The bench was a very high quality piece of work when made. Shrinkage of the thick maple planks comprising the top had taken its toll. It was made of hard maple 4" x 12"s. We used it to photograph our finished saws and planes on,sometimes laying plywood on the top to accommodate those batches of tools. It got plenty of use in our toolmaker's shop.

The original maker must have been doing long work similar in nature to the Diderot cabinet shop illustration.

The longer it is, the farther I have to walk around when I drop something off the back.

I could see having a few benches of the same height that could be joined, when the need arose.

Anything larger than 6 feet, and I just keep piling tools in a corner.

Blog Entries
    I vote for two or three task specific work surfaces. A 10' bench (mine's about 8') a large assembly table with storage for items used in assembly and a large outfeed surface/work area serve me well. Your needs will be different and your preferences will be as well. Enjoy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I wish I had room for a 12 foot bench. House trim and moldings for furniture works better if you make very long pieces and then cut to the lengths you need. My 8 foot bench has been inadequate at times for this type of work.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I am 50/50 on having an assembly table, honestly as short as I am (5'4"), the height of my workbench and the height of the assembly table won't differ by much. I have always used my power tool bench for finishing and assembly and only once when I did a set of cabinets was it too high. In that instance I just stood on a small bench. So I am not sure if I want to dedicate the space to an assembly bench or to keeping my recliner!
    At this point a 10'er is a given, it's just whether a 12'er will be too much.

Josh. 12' is certainly not too long. In fact, the additional mass will serve well to stabilize the bench during planing. IMHO, a bench is only too big if you cannot maneuver around it easily.

You want your bench as long as your work/stock. If you buy 8-10' lumber, you want an 8-10' bench. If you have more space than that and can build a longer bench, do it. You will find you can use the right end for joinery tasks. I think I'd put another face vise there. If you have crazy space and want an even longer bench, you could incorporate a sharpening area (just don't grind there) or on bench tool storage. The only danger of having a super long bench is that it can end up getting cluttered with half done projects, tools you've been meaning to restore etc and you may find you are left with only 4-6' of clear working space! I have 2 benches and one is cluttered with junk at the moment.