Thread: Generic 15" planer owners

Generic 15" planer owners

I might have the opportunity to pick up a generic 15" planer (Bridgewood to be specific, similar to the Enco, Powermatic, Woodtek, etc) for a good price, and I'm just waiting to see some pictures and see it's condition before I make the drive.

My question is if the base can be seperated from the top for transport? I

'm comfortable with removing the motor (which is mounted below)and even cutterhead if necessary, but I hoped to get a better idea of what I'm in for before I show up at the guy's house with a set of ratchets and an impact drill. FWIW, I'll be driving my trusty '04 Subaru Forester, which I've hauled cabinet saws, radial arm saws, workbenches, etc (after some disassembly).

I can't seem to find a manual of any of the planers made by Geetech, but from similar but more recent models it seems like it's only a matter of a handfull of bolts and done.

Any suggestions? TIA

Bridgewood did a good job of importing and their stuff was a little better than much of the Asian clones so if condition is good you are golden. The cast iron top is generally bolted to a steel base and the whole thing should only weigh 400 lbs or so. You should be able to separate it into several pieces, the heaviest being 200-250 lbs. Dave

Matt, my PM has one bolt in each corner that look easy to remove. Be careful not to lift it from the rollers/wings - I don't think they can handle the weight.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a yorkcraft which was sold by Wilke. Which also sold Bridgewood machines. Most of the 15" planers can be separated from the base. After removing the belts. The top will still be very heavy. There are four bolts connecting it to the base.

Most have lifting rods the come out of the top for lifting.g0453_det3.jpg

I have the white jet version, which is a little prettier than the others, but I would just take off the infeed and outfeed table, build a nice pallet, attatch it to the side of the machine with good straps, and let it fall into the back of the car.

They are not super heavy, and can be muscled around somewhat with two people.

My 15" Bridgewood has the lifting rods that Russ shows. The tables are shorter than those pictured, making it an easy lift for two healthy guys. I've had mine for about 20 years with zero defects. You're going to love it. In fact, all of my Bridgewood tools have performed flawlessly (8" Jointer, 2 HP Dust Collector, and 17" Bandsaw). Most parts for Bridgewood are still available from C.H. Wilke Inc.

Paul

Yes you can seperate the base from the top, remove the belt cover and belts and the switch. If there are extension tables I would remove those too. The top will still be heavy but more stable in transporting.
    Good luck and be safe.

Regards!
    Ed

In addition to all the other suggestions, keep in mind that there is a gear oil reservoir for the cutter head. If you find it necessary to transport the upper section in any other orientation than vertical, the gear oil will likely leak out (don't ask how I know this - .)