Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bogus allergies

Bogus allergies

SNL last week had a great commercial parody that I think addresses a problem we're beginning to see with people that falsely claim they're allergic to certain foods (nuts, wheat, milk products, etc).

I've personally witnessed this with an employee at a retail shop where I'm friendly with the staff. One new employee claimed he was allergic to almost everything under the sun. The rest of the staff went to great lengths to limit their consumption of many foods on the premises, to protect this individual. It was discovered later, quite by accident, that the liar was ingesting all sorts of things to which he previously claimed to be allergic.

There is a hazard in this. If you've claimed to be allergic to nuts (for instance), you will be assumed to be safe around others that are allergic to nuts. If you lied, however, and frequently munch on nuts, you might cause quite a problem that would be hard for experts to identify. That is, you'd be the last person they'd suspect of causing a problem for someone with a genuine allergy.

I was talking to a doctor about this and mentioned that it would seem unlikely that someone that says they are allergic to nuts (for instance) because they just don't like them, would later be found to be consuming nuts. But nuts are a common ingredient in many foods we eat, and someone may not like the type of mixed nuts we eat around the holidays, but may enjoy a food where nuts are an ingredient. So imagine being the guy that claimed you were allergic to nuts showing up to a party (also attended by someone that is truly allergic to nuts), and you've brought a desert bar with nuts in the crust (true story, from my doctor friend).

I also know of a family where they told their kids they were all allergic to chocolate. None of the kids seem to be truly allergic to chocolate. I've seen them consume the stuff. In front of the parents. Who were also eating chocolate.

Many others are no claiming a gluten allergy. Now, my mom's side of the family (and one of my daughters) have celiac disease. True celiac (had the blood tests, had the biopsy, don't eat the wheat).

Many restaurants seem to be attempting to cater to people with "wheat intolerance," because so many people are claiming to suffer from problems relating to gluten. But I have observed a pizza restaurant placing a gluten-free crust on a board covered with wheat flour. When I commented "hey, you can't do that" the reply I got was "hasn't been a problem."

And it probably hasn't. Because many of the people claiming celiac or gluten intolerance are just imagining it. They can consume the pizza with wheat flour all over it no problem. But a true celiac will be in the bathroom for hours after eating the same pizza.

I know some people are going to post about the recent stories of people going overboard on allergy precautions (like the woman that wants the oak trees cut down around a school so the kids allergic to nuts won't be traumatized by the acorns). Yes, that is crazy dumb.

But the more important point is that, falsely claiming an allergy desensitizes others to the hazards. If everyone cries wolf, soon nobody will take true problems seriously.

RANT OFF.

It is a very interesting problem in today's society. My son's school is nut free which is a royal pain because he eats peanut butter and jelly for lunch all the time. I was reading an article regarding nut allergies and that they are over diagnosed from the doctors all the time and the quick prick test is not very accurate. The only way to truly know if someone is allergic to nuts is to have them in the hospital and give them nuts and see if they go into annaflatic (sp) shock and then treat them for it. The article said something like 75% of people who think they have a nut allergy don't. Are we being overly too cautious in todays society? I know we want to protect the kids but what happens when the school protects them and their parents protect them but they can't protect themselves because they havn't been taught or been trusted. You do bring up some good points though. As my wife has told me that I have a food sensitivity to a lot of foods but I am not allergic to them....mostly causes GI problems like if I eat mayo but I won't die from eating it.

Blog Entries
    Speaking of nut allergies... a student in my child's school has a major reaction to nuts. We're not talking he breaks into hives after tasting, I mean he stops breathing if the scent is in the air. A classmate's parent forgot and sent him to school with a PB&J. Five minutes after walking in, the allergic child needed the epi pen...a strongly-worded letter went home (again) shortly thereafter.

I also feel many allergies are imagined, but some do exist... trying to decipher which ones, however, can be a real challenge.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan you are right that some allergies are not to be taken lightly and are very serious. It is difficult to decipher which ones and who though are a problem.

Once upon a time it was "unresonable" for an employee to complain about working in rooms where people smoked. The recognition of unhealthy encounters is influenced by culture.

Is there a simple clinical test for allergies? I'm not impressed by the medical scratch tests. When I've had them, the person giving them didn't even clean the scratcher between rubbing it in various substances. (She said it didn't matter.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Speaking of nut allergies... a student in my child's school has a major reaction to nuts. We're not talking he breaks into hives after tasting, I mean he stops breathing if the scent is in the air. A classmate's parent forgot and sent him to school with a PB&J. Five minutes after walking in, the allergic child needed the epi pen...a strongly-worded letter went home (again) shortly thereafter.

I also feel many allergies are imagined, but some do exist... trying to decipher which ones, however, can be a real challenge.
    Call me grumpy, but in my world, if you have a child that has life threatening conditions, you protect them by not putting them in environments that they could DIE from, not from fault of their own, but by fault of some 8 year old kid eating peanut butter crackers.

It's not the rest of the worlds purpose to change so 1 kid can have what they want. That's the problem with the USA today. When 1 person screams, millions are supposed to stop what they are doing and modify THEIR behavior. Instead of modifying the behavior of an entire school, how about modifying the behavior of the child with the issue- home school or go to a school that's developed for people with this type of condition.

I would NEVER put my kids LIFE at risk because I wanted them to "feel normal". That's stupid, in my opinion.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

We had a kid in our district like Dan describes. Like if a kid ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and played basketball, kid #2 could have a life threatening reaction by touching the basketball. I don't know what has made nut allergies more prevalent, but the ones that are serious are just about impossible to send your kid to "regular school" and keep them out of trouble.

Home schooling requires that one of the parents can actually stay home to do it. Not everyone is afforded that luxury financially.

Public schools are essentially not allowed to turn away any students. The amount of money spent on special education students is staggering. If public schools could turn away special education students I doubt any school district would be begging for money.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Home schooling requires that one of the parents can actually stay home to do it. Not everyone is afforded that luxury financially.
    So your kids life can be lost in an instant by the actions of a complete stranger, and because you can't afford it, you just ship them off to school? That's insane to me.

Would you let your kid with a heart problem go play football? No? Why? Because it could cause them to die? Would you let a kid with an immune system disease hang out around sick kids? Probably not, because it could kill them. It's about protecting your child from death, which I thought was the job of a parent.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Similar problems at our school. We've had good luck using sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter and the kids actually prefer it now. Nutritionally it's not any different than peanut butter, just a little more expensive.

Blog Entries
    Good to know, Harry... I'll see if I can find some...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Almond butter may work, too. I have almond butter at my house but it is PURE almond butter with zero added so it isn't for everyone...including my wife and daughter, apparently, as I'm the only one eating it! LOL
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Almond butter may work, too. I have almond butter at my house but it is PURE almond butter with zero added so it isn't for everyone...including my wife and daughter, apparently, as I'm the only one eating it! LOL
    Well if anyone around you is allergic to tree nuts or peanuts, I would not suggest using almond butter without checking with them first.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 11-21-2012 at 3:50 PM.

I'm with you, Scott.

I HATE cucumbers. If a cucumber is tossed in a salad, and then removed, I can still smell it from across the table and I can't eat the salad as cucumbers simply make me nauseous. I've eaten many strange things in my travels so I'm not terribly picky, but I can not eat cucumber.

So when I order salad, I try to make it as easy as possible on everyone and I only order Ceasar salads on the theory that only an absolute idiot could botch this up by putting cucumbers in it, but sure enough I get cucumbers every now and then. That's like putting ketchup on my steak. Yeah, it SOMETIMES goes with beef but don't dare put it on my steak. Don't put cucumber in my Ceasar just because you saw it near some lettuce once.

So I'll send it back, and the same thing ALWAYS happens. Do they make me a salad without cucumbers? Oh no, they pick them off and bring the salad back. If I wanted to pick them off, I'd pick them off myself....I'm not THAT lazy...I'm an easy customer, but it's ineffective with cucumbers. So what do I do so we don't play the salad shuffle for the next 15 minutes?

"Oh Miss. I'm very sorry. Normally Ceasar salads don't come with cucumber. I'm afraid I am very allergic to cucumber. Could you please have the chef make a fresh one that's never had cucumber on it? Oh, and if you remember could you leave off the shredded carrot too, please", because Ceasars with cucumber inevitably always have shredded carrot on them...it's like they're trying to make salad slaw.

Anyhow...Cucumber allergy? LOL. Hey, are you going to sit there and argue with me, or risk me dropping dead...especially before you get your tip? Heck no. Is it underhanded? Maybe a bit, but they force me to do this because cucumber/shredded carrot establishments are also the ones that ALWAYS spend 5 minutes picking the cucumber out as opposed to spending 1 minute tossing some lettuce with dressing, croutons and sprinkling some parmesan on top.

What were we talking about?

FYI, peanuts are actually legumes and not botanically "nuts" like walnuts, almonds, pecans or other tree-growing fruit nuts. If someone has a fruit nut allergy they aren't necessarily going to be allergic to peanuts or other beans for that matter.