Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elusive

This piece is spectacular! I love the combinations of the burl figure and the beautiful colors of the wood. This form IMHO is perfect and is much like one that I have had in my head, but been unsuccesful in producing after numerous attempts. You nailed it and I still find the persuit of such an exquisite form elusive.

I also really like the photo and contrasting background very much, and have added a copy to my "aspirations" folder. Thanks for sharing it.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 11-23-2012 at 8:49 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

You nailed it! And, the turning looks nice, too. It seems that I'm always thinking that way. Change the curve a little bit and you end up changing and changing and then the piece is smaller and smaller.

I respect that you didn't hit your intended form perfectly, but I love it! It's a good thing that we enjoy the process of making these. It's that pleasure and the search for the elusive that keeps us going.

You're an inspiration. Keep turning and posting.

In our little neck of the art world, it would seem that the more forms and shapes we get under our belt, the more we morph our current pieces into a reflection of all our previous work. We have all turned terrible forms. Whether the shape is off or it's too thick/thin or even the finish lacks something to be desired. Time at the lathe is the cure and the answer towards the perfect (or close to it) form. Sometimes it's just a matter of teaching our hands to create what our mind sees without creating something that lies to our eyes and fools us somewhat that "we did it"! Lately I find myself walking away from the lathe/piece for a while and/or looking at it from across the room and different angles. More than not, I have more to turn off and lines to correct!

For this piece I definitely see your recent sphere work. That round shape works great in this piece and helps to pull off the appearance of an excellent turning. A lot of HFs (including mine) tend to have the heart shape. The round is a more difficult form, IMO. Nice work David...now repeat it!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I like it!
    Where did I put that?

Very nice work with a great curve David! I can relate to the elusive part. Once in a grea while I see it in a small part of something I am working on. Somehow it never seems to stick around to the end.

Well said! Well turned, I'd agree I think you nailed this one. I also agree with Scott, and it's an important aspect of our art that we don't nearly address enough. Stepping away from our work! In painting you have to step away from your work, the areas that need refinement often times can't be seen from the perspective we work at.

I'll add my $.02, being an obsessive perfectionist the most important thing I have learned throughout all of my artistic endeavors is knowing when to let go. I think you let this one go at just the right time! If I didn't let go many of my forms and other creations would just end up being curlies on the floor or "dust in the wind"
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Needs some color and a finial.

Not. Wonderful wood. Maybe not todays perfect curve, but certainly yesterdays. Sometimes the turners eye is too critical. Even if you get it perfect the wood will tease you with a bit of a change. I would call this a very nice orb.

I know you're tired of following
    My elusive dreams and schemes
    For they're only fleeting things
    My elusive dreams

I guess you know I'll be hearing Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood singing "My Elusive Dreams" in my head for the rest of the night!

Actually, I think that HF is just right as-is. I like it a lot with it's earth tones and unembellished shape. IMHO, art doesn't have to be flashy or sensuous or perfect to be appealing. (like I know anything about art).
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

One thing that has not eluded me is replies to this post! I really appreciate all the comments...
    David DeCristoforo

That's simply beautiful. It captures the form of some of David Ellsworth pieces and that's saying something.