Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primitive Maple Vase

Wink Primitive Maple Vase

This turning is part of my ‘Primitive’ series where the emphasis is on form and the final finish is matte.

Maple, 15” high x 11” diameter x 5/16” thick. Finish is gloss poly, then using 0000 steel wool to cut back the gloss to get a matte look. There is one crack in the piece… which does not go to through to the inside of the form. A branch had grown through that area and once turned, only the area closest to the original pith cracked. This piece was too large to fit in my photo tent… so one additional photo has been provided to show that the piece was hollowed!
    Maple Vase v1.JPG Maple Vase v2.JPG Maple Vase v3.JPG Maple Vase v4.JPG
    Maple Vase v5.JPG Maple Vase v6.JPG Maple Vase v7.JPG
    As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Yep, it turned out great - just as expected, Steve!! Great form - really nice. Man, it must be nice to have a big ol' Beauty!

Great vase, Steve. I see you and the big lathe are getting along just fine. Did you hollow the whole log leaving the pith in?
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Nate... hollowed it right down the center. Minimal cracking around the pith... which surprised me! Expected a lot worse.
    Steve

beautiful piece Steve, is there some type of figure in the wood at the base, seems to be a shadow, form is very good

Charlie.. that is the heartwood... which is much darker.
    Steve

Nice work Steve. That is a big piece. Some hard maple trees have large heart and some have small heart. Hard maple with small heart is worth much more as veneer and logs than hard maple with large heart. The production manager of our saw mill thought one of my bowls was made of soft maple because it has such a large heart. I told him it is hard maple, but I am not sure he beleives me yet.

I have a few questions. Was this a two step turning with an alcohol soak and bag dried in between turnings? I read somewhere to apply glue (CA or Epoxy) on the pith area before drying - have you ever tried it?

Sounds like you need a larger photo tent.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Rich - this piece was roughed out first, then DNA soaked for about a month. Doesn't take that long... I just had other things to do at the time. I know you can CA the pith areas or knots to help keep them from cracking and I did put some CA on the very bottom of the form after it was roughed out. The crack on the side only came around once I started turning it. Was weird... just a surface crack and did not go all the way through the wood but was deep enough I did not want to try and turn it out.
    Steve

Looks like you nailed the shape Steve, well done.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Man , that is a BIG piece, and nicely done. I really like the matte finish. I'm curious, how finely do you finish the interior? It looks like such a large form would invite people to want to explore the inside, but it looks like it might be a tad dangerous to finish by hand. Anyway, I like it !
    Dick Mahany.

Wonderful piece Steve, I'm sure you too are pleased with the results. And yep...I bet it sure doesn't hurt having your Beauty for a piece that size!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Pottery cracks too! So it looks like it fits right in. I like your finish idea and the form selection. Great size...Big lathes are fun!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That is a beauty Steve. I like the finish and form is spot on.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve that is a very impressive vase. I was wondering what you used to hollow it out with? As always your work is great.
    Fred

I love it! I think it's just beautiful....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?