Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primitive Maple Vase

Thanks for all the comments everyone - I do appreciate them!

The vase is my variation of a pueblo/acoma style water jar. Seems everything I do has a slight Southwest flavor but I never tire of it. The outside of the form was sanded to 320 grit and then steel wooled. The inside was sanded to 180 grit at the 2/3 mark down to the bottom and up close to the top it was sanded to 320 to match the exterior. The inside is far from perfect... some tearout... but I left things as is because to me that just shows it was hand-turned and not something created by a machine. Well, that is my story and I'm sticking with it!

This piece was hollowed using my Monster captured system. I attached one of Vince Welsh's sandpaper holders to the boring bar and used the hollowing system to sand the interior. With the wide mouth - it was tempting to sand by hand... but I didn't.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice Steve. I wouldn't want to hand sand the inside either.

Nice piece Steve. I love the soft lustre and it is one of those pieces that screams to be picked up and held.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

it's beautiful piece Steve ... many compliments ..

Excellent! I really like the little "run" in the figure there at the rim.
    David DeCristoforo

Nice work Steve. I would like to try something large but haven't come up with a big enough piece of wood lately that is crack free to start.

Beautiful piece Steve and it's a biggy! Nice form and the finish looks great too!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice piece of work Steve. Glad to see that big ole lathe getting a workout. I think you are hitting the mark on the feel and form of your primitive pieces. In looking at it I immediately think of museum pieces I have studied.