Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught on Video

Caught on Video

Does this ever happen to you?

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, grab for something reflexively.

Never.

Let it fall.

That guy is asking for it.

Wow!!
    I'm the guy that runs with scissors,and even I wouldn't do that!
    I'm sorry, but that's a little foolish.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

5. That would explain the stiches on my left pinkie finger

The saw was off, guys.

7. Yes, I think the saw was off AND the blade guard was in place BUT that is not a good habit to get into. Plan ahead and you don't need to rescue the cutoff. Besides, my reflexes are no longer that good.
    Last edited by Richard Wagner; 11-23-2012 at 6:37 AM.

Gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I see three issues: work supports, work supports, work supports.

- Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

And he doesn't seem like a young person screwing around either. He should know better. His shop also looks like a dedicated wood shop so this is not a DIYer.

use extension supports on either side so the piece doesn't drop to the ground

Why would you be videoing unless you were trying to capture the "grab". There was no narration to indicate any other reason. So was it rehearsed? But Hank is spot on, work support was definitely absent. The other reason I say it looks "staged" is no line or anything to indicate the piece is being cut to any dimension. Just my .02 worth.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    The saw was off, guys.
    I think the saw was still winding down. I have a small scar on my hand from this summer from something similar. For some reason my saw started moving upwards slowly after letting go of the trigger, so the guard was high enough to expose the blade while it was slowing down. In my rush I nicked the blade. I sat there after for a couple minutes pondering the lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I think the saw was still winding down. I have a small scar on my hand from this summer from something similar. For some reason my saw started moving upwards slowly after letting go of the trigger, so the guard was high enough to expose the blade while it was slowing down. In my rush I nicked the blade. I sat there after for a couple minutes pondering the lunacy.
    These saws have brakes. You can hear that it was well stopped. I don't really see what the purpose was, but nothing particularly dangerous going on.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    These saws have brakes. You can hear that it was well stopped. I don't really see what the purpose was, but nothing particularly dangerous going on.
    Ahh, re-watched and see that noticed this time that he had waited until the blade was stopped. Both my Felder TS and Festool still take about 5s to slow with the brake. In my case I was rushing.