Thread: Please help with RAS

Please help with RAS

I spend 4H the afternoon to replace my RAS top and align everything agen that a pain in the a......
    the RAS is over 35 years old and working as if sold yesterday - I am 35 and sins I can remember the saw was there

NOW can any one help me with a model no PLEASE ??????????

I want to replace one off center bold of the runner bearings
    I know I will not find NEW ones but newer ones will also work !!!!!!

the saw is a De Walt and the arm is a Black and Decker and as you can see there was same modifications over the years

ras001.jpgras001_1.jpgras001_2.jpgras001_3.jpgras001_6.jpg
    Last edited by Rian de Bruyn; 11-23-2012 at 1:46 PM.
    If there is not time to do it right the first time there is NO time to come back and fix it

The RAS is a DeWalt Black and Decker circa 1956 - 1960. The only modification that I can see is the power switch. I'm not clear on what you would like to replace. If you like to tinker and spend lots of time doing adjustments then you can't beat a RAS. I have the next generation of this saw and it will go out of adjustment if you look at it from the corner of your eye. It sits in the corner of my shop only because it once belonged to my Dad. If not for that reason it would have been dragged to the end of my driveway 40 years ago. If you could be specific in what part you need there are many on this form who could help.

Greg

Your RAS appears to be identical to the one I have. Mine is Model #R1450. I found it at a yard sale about a year ago and bought it. So far I am very pleased with it. I replaced my old Craftsman that I had owned since the middle sixties. Not sure that it does any better or worse.

I think you want to replace the "off-center" (or eccentric) bolt for one of the carriage bearings that slides in the arm, correct? One place to go would be the Delphi DeWalt Radial Arm Saw forum:
    http://people.delphiforums.com/snotzalot/sawdust/
    The other would be to go to owwm.org and post a request on the BOYD forum for buying and selling equipment and parts.

Good luck.

Thanx Dave
    It can be difficult to explain a thing if it is not your first language
    If there is not time to do it right the first time there is NO time to come back and fix it

Most unusual saw mod. The structure is from the model 7740, produced about 1977, but it’s the motor where things get interesting. Originally this saw came with a frame 350 type, but yours has either a frame 235 or 236 automatic brake, generally acknowledged to be the better type since it is convertible 120/240 volts and more fully enclosed vs. the open frame 350 120 volt only motor with a manual brake. The on/ off turn button switch is a take- off from another piece of equipment and refitted to the saw, functional perhaps but not as good as a contemporary paddle design whereby a quick slap shuts the saw down.

Over the years I’ve had two model 7740’s and while not in the same league as builds from the ‘50’s and ‘60’s, it will none the less beat anything built and marketed today.

Very unlikely the arm (way) bearings need replacement, here is a video showing how to restore them.

Here is a link to a rebuild story of a DeWalt.

As was mentioned by another, get you to Delphi forums where DeWalt ras restorers hang out, they will help. Don't do anything more; the eccentric way bearings had a locking setscrew on this model and things can get buggered very badly if one tries to dissasemble without backing it off first.

- Beachside Hank

Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.
    Last edited by HANK METZ; 11-24-2012 at 8:44 AM.

If it is the carriage bearings, those hardly ever wear out. We had a Dewalt/B&D at work and in 35 years I can never remember replacing them (and it was used hard every day). IIRC there are 4 bearings. Unless they are completely shot, take the switch end cap off, slide the carriage out, clean the bearings, the track, reinstall and you should be good to go.
    BTW...unplug the saw before you attempt any of the above.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

The bearings are fine its the bold that keep the bearing in please thats shot the thread are strip so the nut keep getting undone but saw is running fine and if its set it cut as straigth as the best
    Last edited by Rian de Bruyn; 11-24-2012 at 9:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rian de Bruyn View Post
    Thanx Dave
    It can be difficult to explain a thing if it is not your first language
    No problem; I understand fine.

If you go to OWWM.org there is a member in Byrne, kwa Zulu Natal named Gerald. His on screen name is Afric-arn-a. He might be able to help as well.

Nie seker of die probleem.
    Miskien kan ek help.
    Bel my - 0824541247
    Phil