Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Little Burl from an Old Giant

A Little Burl from an Old Giant

While in Maine this summer, I came across a little ash burl.
    1 Little Burl r.jpg

The limb had been lying beside the tree for years, but the burl looked solid.
    2 Big Ash r.jpg

Since it was a rather long walk carrying a chainsaw and a chunk of wood, my cousin let me borrow his Gator. Although there was rot, some other parts of the limb seemed solid enough to turn as well.
    3 Something to carry r.jpg

Since it was less than 50 yards to where I had left the gator, I lugged out a few pieces.
    4 Gator r.jpg

Although small, a few pieces had some curl, and all have had a warm color.
    5 Big Ash Roughouts r.jpg
    6 Curly Ash Plate.jpg

This week I roughed out the last of it.

7 Ash Hollowform.jpg
    8 (2).jpg
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 11-23-2012 at 10:16 PM.

2. Love the curl in that hf and bowl Baxter........that will pop for sure and will be a real looker when finished!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Since I wasn’t quite sure what to do with it, the little burl came last.
    9 Ash Burl.jpg
    10 Ash Burl.jpg

Plans changed as I went along and ended up with this.
    11 Ash Burl Vase.jpg

4 1/8” t x 3 1/8” w x 1/8" :
    Finish is AO and buffed.

12 Ash Burl Vase.jpg
    13 Ash Burl Vase.jpg
    14 Ash Burl Vase.jpg
    15 Ash Burl Vase.jpg

The other side of the tree split off years ago and its now rotting away from the inside.
    16 Big Ash & Saw.jpg

As long as it hangs on, I doubt I could bring myself to cut it. If its time runs out before mine does, I will be getting a bigger saw.

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome!

Wow! That is some screamer figure! The HF looks to be a stunner. I absolutely love the "genie bottle" form.
    David DeCristoforo

wood hound 1st class, way to go Baxter, really like it all but the genie bottle i am partial to, you do need a bigger chain saw, do not tempt yourself and go to california with the bigger chain saw, probably need a flatbed trailer and a tractor to load it , that gator is nice, but it ain't big enough

That wood is spectacular. The curl on the bowls is amazing and provides interest. The hollow form turned out beautifully and I admire the form and tall graceful neck.
    Dick Mahany.

Now that is a big ash tree!
    The hf is going to look great! Lots of figure there, are you going to dye it?
    The bowls look great too and I love the genie bottle form!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

The figure on that hollow form is unbelievable. Great haul on the wood was well. The genie bottle crowns the group, beautiful work Baxter.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Beautiful Baxter. The figure is just awesome on the HF.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wonderful finds and pieces from the trip in the woods. The hf looks like it's gonna be a beauty, and I too really like the genie bottle. Great work!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks all. I would have been happy to find just one turnable piece from that rather special tree. Finding more than one and kind of pretty to boot made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    ...... you do need a bigger chain saw,........
    Charlie, my daughters boyfriend is still in college but works at ACE hardware. He told me yesterday they were having 10% off Stihl products today until 10. This morning he texts me and tells me its 20% so I go in. I came darn close to walking out with a 362 and 25" bar. He was sweating I would get it.... and my wife wouldn't be speaking or cooking for him again anytime soon. Decided I had better show him some fiscal restraint so walked out with a 3 pack of files.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Marshall View Post
    The hf is going to look great! Lots of figure there, are you going to dye it?
    !
    Kathy, that little burl had less figure than I thought it was going to. I was very tempted to try dye on it. These pieces have such nice color its almost seems like a wonderful patina. Changing that to some version of red, blue or green almost seems demeaning to the old tree. The only other ash I have turned has been very pale and I didn't hesitate dying some of it. I will have a year to think about it.

Well aren't you a clever rascal!! You sure kept the memory of that tree alive for quite awhile...a few more years and you may not be able to carry a bigger saw...just sayin'
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

You know I love all these, Baxter. You have a way of doing a tree proud!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Baxter, only a turner would find potential in that piece of dead wood. What a treasure, well done.

Dave F.

Nice HF - good form. Ash is nice to work with. I like the story - I am not the only one that does this stuff and learned that they have gators in Maine.....
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author