Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help ID a chisel

help ID a chisel

I've been cleaning up a framing chisel that I recently purchased and would like to solicit help identifying the maker. It reads:
    A.W. _R__SMAN
    CAST STEEL
    The first letter looks like a 'C' or a 'G', and the third letter could be an 'O'. The forth letter is completely worn off.
    It's a socket chisel and has a laminated blade, first laminated blade I've ever owned. After getting the rust off the line between the two steels is very prominent.
    Can anyone help me find my missing letters? Thanks! Jeff

A.W. Grossman? Seems like a name I've seen before, but can't remember, but searching Google for "A.W. Grossman chisel" turns up a few that have sold on eBay and some photos on Flickr.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

A. W. Crossman, 1850s-60s, Warren, Mass.
    Last edited by Joe Bailey; 12-10-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks guys! Warren, Mass huh? I'm never awed by the fact that many of us here use tools that are over a hundred years old!! It really brings history alive for me. Many times while I'm working I'll think about all the stories the tools could tell if only they could speak! How many mortices did this chisel make? How many owners did it have? Did it sit in the bottom of a tool chest for 50 years?
    One thing I can say for certain about this particular chisel is that at one time or another someone was very ham-handed with it! Unfortunately for me it's back is concave.....I have some work ahead to flatten it! Anyone have a slick technique for flattening a concave back?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Thanks guys! Warren, Mass huh? I'm never awed by the fact that many of us here use tools that are over a hundred years old!! It really brings history alive for me. Many times while I'm working I'll think about all the stories the tools could tell if only they could speak! How many mortices did this chisel make? How many owners did it have? Did it sit in the bottom of a tool chest for 50 years?
    One thing I can say for certain about this particular chisel is that at one time or another someone was very ham-handed with it! Unfortunately for me it's back is concave.....I have some work ahead to flatten it! Anyone have a slick technique for flattening a concave back?
    Umm, concavity across the back is what you want and if this what you have the maker intentionally put the bevel on the other side after determining which side was concave after the chisel cooled. Should make it very easy to lap flat just behind the edge.

........sorry, my mistake, I meant to say it was convex......I think I'm slightly dyslexic! I don't think the maker had a choice about which side to put the bevel: it's a laminated blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    ........sorry, my mistake, I meant to say it was convex......I think I'm slightly dyslexic! I don't think the maker had a choice about which side to put the bevel: it's a laminated blade.
    Make it concave with a Dremel. You'll pull your hair out trying to lap it flat.

A DREMEL is the very last tool I'd suggest trying to generate a flat surface with. Just use some coarser abrasive cloth stuck down to a truly flat surface. Then,graduate to finer and finer. It will take a lot less work than doing the whole job with a fine wet or dry paper.

I think charles is advocating grinding a hollow in the middle of the back of the chisels, like one would do with his favorite chisel type- the japanese chisels.

A bit of advice to a first-time dremel grinder on any chisel that's not very wide, use it along the length of the chisel and not across the width or you stand a pretty good chance of catching and going over the edge and dinging it up.

I've never used one on a chisel, but I have caught a straight razor on a dremel wheel, which led to a pinging sound and a ruined razor. at the time, I thought I was nowhere close to the edge.

it's a slick. a bit of convexity of the back isn't necessarily a bad thing. get it sharp and use it before you go doing any heavy grinding on it.

11. Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I think charles is advocating grinding a hollow in the middle of the back of the chisels, like one would do with his favorite chisel type- the japanese chisels.

A bit of advice to a first-time dremel grinder on any chisel that's not very wide, use it along the length of the chisel and not across the width or you stand a pretty good chance of catching and going over the edge and dinging it up.

I've never used one on a chisel, but I have caught a straight razor on a dremel wheel, which led to a pinging sound and a ruined razor. at the time, I thought I was nowhere close to the edge.
    Yep, but I have to give credit to Garrett Hack for the Dremel advice. One certainly doesn't need to grind Japanese style furrows into the chisel's back though. Just remove the convexity and create a little bit of a dip that will all be rectified and homogenized at the lapping stage. In other words, there will be no evidence of the Dremel's use when all is said and done. A tiny bit of concavity that laps right out to flat. It's a one-time deal. Once done, it's done.

On a slick, you could probably chuck a small diameter sanding drum in a 3/8" drill. Bridger brings up a good point in his post though - this is assuming the OP knows that he needs a flat back for the chisel's intended use. I won't presume to tell him for it would require mind reading.

To *hopefully* prevent any confusion about Hack: http://www.garretthack.com/index.aspx
    Last edited by Charlie Stanford; 12-11-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've been cleaning up a framing chisel that I recently purchased and would like to solicit help...
    Jeff,

What is the size of this chisel?

Is it convex from side to side or over the length?

If it is a larger slick as Bridger suggests, a little "belly" (over the length) may actually be of an advantage for levering in and out of cuts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Stanford View Post
    To *hopefully* prevent any confusion about Hack: http://www.garretthack.com/index.aspx
    I know a story. I won't tell it, though, but the coincidence here is funny.

This chisel is only 1 1/2" wide, a framer, not a slick, and convex over it's length. My thoughts so far coincide with much of the above advise. I was thinking I'd take a piece of hardwood that is say, 2" wide, affix some course abrasive cloth, and while holding the chisel perpendicular to said hardwood abrade it crosswise. If I stay an inch or so away from the tip I would hope to remove enough material to then switch to the granite plate and commence the normal lapping routine. For what it's worth, the laminated part of the blade only extends about 4 1/2" from the tip. I really need to get some good close ups of this beast!
    Also worth mentioning is my experience with evaporust......or what I'd call 'magic bath'! After a seven hour soak I spent all of 5 mins with some 0000 steel wool and it looks great! Let's see if I can work on some pictures.......

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I know a story. I won't tell it, though, but the coincidence here is funny.
    Awh man! That's not fair David!!