Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday, Blue Pine

Black Friday, Blue Pine

While the ladies were out standing in line to hand over the family fortune to their favorite retailers, I found a little shop time. I know I'm turning into Johnny-one-note here, but I have a lot of this wood and it's cluttering up my refrigerator kiln. The rim is about 1/2 inch and undercut so the sides taper down to about 3/16. Just one coat of Watco DO so far, but I'm thinking about a satin WOP. I may give this one to the Small family, who gave me the beetle killed tree.

IMG_1517.jpgIMG_1518.jpgIMG_1519.jpgIMG_1520.jpg

Ponderosa Pine, about 12" x 4-1/2". C&C appreciated. Apologies if I stole any elements of the form - I've looked at so many images I really can't remember.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

You sure achieve a nice finish on pine. For a moment, I thought the last pic had curl from the appearance. Although I prefer working with other woods, I found that pine was actually an excellent material for me to practice and learn wwith because it taught me how sensitive cutting angle and tool presentation are in order to achieve finer levels of finish off the lathe. Nice work and that coloring variation is amazing.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 11-24-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

That's a great size Doug!! Pine should not look that good...I like the satin finish idea.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Really nice Doug. Color of the wood looks great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like this form. The outside really looks great. Think it could be a tad thinner, but that is the goofy turner in me.

I've turned a little Ponderosa myself and I like the grain in it. But this piece with heavy blue coloring is spectacular. What are you doing to control the sap and pitch? That's been my biggest drawback in turning more of it. That's a real beauty Doug!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    What are you doing to control the sap and pitch? That's been my biggest drawback in turning more of it.
    Curt, I just haven't seen much pitch. I just put a new overlay on my face shield and I didn't get anything on it or the ways or the window behind the lathe. There was one piece, a branch collar, which had a lot in the branch part. We've been in drought for quite awhile and the trees are really stressed. Also, I've only worked with beetle killed trees, so have never harvested any healthy specimens. This one was cut shortly after it started showing signs of infestation. It was late summer, so the sap should have been up, but as I roughed the blanks, it seemed more watery than pitchy.

Really good looking bowl! I like the form and you did a great job on the finish! The Small family will love this!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

This is a super bowl, really sweet curve on it, and the foot blends nicely with it!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Nice curve and very pretty wood Doug.

Doug,
    Nice bowl and form. The colors are great. I've been weighing the piece you sent me, and it's almost dry. How much do you think your kiln speeds up the drying process? Does it help with reducing splitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    Doug,
    Nice bowl and form. The colors are great. I've been weighing the piece you sent me, and it's almost dry. How much do you think your kiln speeds up the drying process? Does it help with reducing splitting?
    Hey Eric. I anchor sealed everything and threw it in the fridge, which only has a light bulb controlled by a thermostat keeping it between 70 & 80 F, and some small vents. I first weighed this one on 9/27 and it stopped losing weight about two weeks ago. Moisture content was 10 - 14% depending on where I tested. I thought that was pretty fast. I haven't lost any roughed bowls, but two solid chunks I threw in split badly. Bad move, I guess.

I didn't keep any pine in bags, but some red maple I cut up about the same time isn't ready yet. I guess that's not much of an answer - different wood, some not rough turned, apples and oranges. Not enough data, no control group.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was pretty pleased with the curve and finish but my wife, who is usually very supportive and likes much of what I do, even when it's really bad, just hates the rim. Too wide, makes the whole thing look clunky. Can't give it to the Smalls - we could never show our faces again at the neighborhood parties. I showed her some of your postings with wider rims and she quickly pointed out that I got the wrong angle, making the whole thing look thick. I think she's right. Lucky I have more wood.

13. Just in case you have not figured it out yet, Doug.....keep the Mrs. happy, and you will be happy too.....sounds like you already figured it out, however! Nice work on the bowl....even if the rim is not to her tastes....
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

From the "for what it's worth" department, the piece you sent me is ready to turn. It hasn't changed weight in the past week. I rough turned it on 9/27 and it weighed just under 20g. The walls are about 1/2" thick. Didn't check the moisture content before or after. I gave it a soaking of Pentacryl like I do with the NIP pieces I make and sealed it in a paper bag.

My guess is that your "kiln" makes the drying process more predictable in the controlled environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Just in case you have not figured it out yet, Doug.....keep the Mrs. happy, and you will be happy too.....sounds like you already figured it out, however!
    The secret to a long and prosperous life.