Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A potential new hobby goes pllllbbbbbtt...

A potential new hobby goes pllllbbbbbtt...

A little while ago, I bought an older lathe of craiglist (craftsman 113228160) with the plan to try and learn to turn bowls. I set it up, bought some inexpensive tools off ebay, did some research online to get a vague idea what I was doing, cut up some black walnut with the chainsaw and had at it. I have few tools, no jaw chuck and no experience but I was able to make a pretty nice bowl. There were a couple of failed attempts and a lot of mistakes but that's part of the learning process. However, I may have ended my new hobby before it really began. I loaded up a large blank today and was going to rough it out. I was worried that it was too large (it probably was) so I wasn't trying to round it in earnest, just trying to figure out if it was a mistake to work with a piece this big on this lathe. I had the tool rest up and locked and tried to lightly using the roughing gouge to see how it would go. It chipped off a little and then caught a bit and the tool rest holder snapped in two. I guess it was extended a bit but it didn't seem that the catch was that violent. (I suspect many reading this are muttering "idiot" at this point but it's not the first time, so I can live with that.)

Here's the big problem: the tool rest holder is a part no longer available. I did an online chat with searspartsdirect.com with no luck. So am I now stuck with a lathe I can't use because I have no tool rest? Any ideas?

Measure the post size and look online at Penn State Industries, craft supply, grizzly, esxeor leevalley for selection. Since you are still learning, get a inexpensive one. Hope you are using a faceplate, and if possible bring the tail stock up to out of balance blank until it stabilize.

I hesitate to be so blunt Tom, but that was my first lathe 25 yrs. ago, and it is a piece of junk. The round tube for a bed will not retain alignment between headstock and tailstock, and is a reason that aftermarket replacement rest holders( often called a banjo) are not available. The banjo you broke is cast iron used in a poor design application, and you also dodged a possible injury by using a "spindle" roughing gouge inappropriately for bowl turning. I advise you to look for a better and safer lathe, but first you should find a local turning club or experienced mentor to get you started.
    Last edited by Jamie Donaldson; 11-24-2012 at 5:26 PM.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give a couple of them a call on Monday. But I might not have been clear (or I don't fully follow your reply): it's not the tool rest which was damaged but the holder which attaches to the lathe base. There's the part that clamps onto the tube, the holder, which swivels around and locks down, and then the tool rest itself. It's the middle piece that is in two pieces now.

The blank was securely on a faceplate and I had the tail stock pulled up as well, though I don't think it was secured well. I was still adjusting things before getting started and foolishly decided to see how it would react to the gouge. Not the smartest thing I've ever done (but sadly, probably not the dumbest either).

I agree with absolutely everything Jamie just stated! I started out with the same lathe... and while they are not great, they can work for small stuff.

Learning how to turn on your own can be fun - but it can also be extremely dangerous when you start pushing the limits of the lathe, the tools being used and your limited knowledge of turning. Get with your local turning club and they will help you learn how to turn and also probably help you find a decent lathe at a fair price!

Good luck - and BE SAFE!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

No worries on being blunt. I know I don't really know what I'm doing, so my ego isn't on the line. I was confused a bit about the use of the roughing gouge. I've seen a few sites indicating that it can be used to round a blank but further reading indicates that my research was incomplete. Thanks for the advice.

Is your lathe the monotube lathe that Craftsman sold?
    and...is the broken part, the part that slides along the tube and holds the tool post?
    If yes, then I have a spare one that might be useful.
    Bernie F.
    Fairhaven, Ma

Yes and no. It is a monotube. The part that broke sits on top of the part that slides along the tube. It has a slot in the middle where the locking nut slides and a hole at one end where the tool rest mounts.

PM sent.
    Rodney

I think there are quite a few turners that don't use a rest attached to the machine. You could probably fabricate one from steel pipe plumbing fittings if you aren't handy with a welder.

The broken part is called a tool rest holder. There is an 8" long one listed on ebay for $30 under "Craftsman wood lathe" . You could try owwm.org (old woodworking machines) and see if anyone has your part. I have an extra one if you can not find one.
    The monotube is not a great lathe but you can make nice woodturnings using it.
    Bernie F.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    you also dodged a possible injury by using a "spindle" roughing gouge inappropriately for bowl turning. I advise you to look for a better and safer lathe, but first you should find a local turning club or experienced mentor to get you started.
    Highly agreed, I'm relatively paranoid about the possible dangers on the lathe (and indeed most tools), I've seen to many things go wrong in a hurry (the dis? advantage of working with a lot of folks who didn't actually know what they were doing.. you get to see the wrong way before having to do it yourself )

Here is a cogent explanation of the danger of using a spindle gouge for roughing blanks complete with the resulting injury .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOhHeyoZLaY

Having said that there ARE places where you can use a spindle gouge for roughing bowl blanks.. Like for instance for doing the outside of an end grain piece where you are .. making a spindle... essentially...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Porter View Post
    ... and tried to lightly using the roughing gouge to see how it would go.
    I know others have mentioned it, but I feel it is enough of a safety issue to repeat. Never use a roughing gouge on a bowl blank, only spindles. The roughing gouge just does not have the correct grind and is too aggressive (therefore will violently catch) for all the grain changes that take place as a bowl blank spins. My other question would be, what speed were you spinning the blank at, and what where its dimensions? That is another factor to consider whenever doing large pieces.

Well, I managed to fix my lathe tool rest holder. Thanks for the input. Here's the result. A reasonable outcome considering it's the third bowl I've made.cherry bowl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Porter View Post
    Well, I managed to fix my lathe tool rest holder. Thanks for the input. Here's the result. A reasonable outcome considering it's the third bowl I've made.cherry bowl.jpg
    looks real nice, what are we looking at? Cherry?

How did you fix the tool rest holder? Can you post a picture, I might have one laying around for cost of shipping.
    Well if it's the same thing.
    I am kind of just starting out too, although l have had my lathe for a while.
    Here is one l just did, I'll just post it here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 01-01-2013 at 11:12 PM.