Thread: Looking for a source

Looking for a source

For a 1 1/4" x 8 tpi bolt or threaded rod about 2"-3" long.

Awhile back I made a little homemade carving stand to use for carving on my turned pieces while they are still in the chuck. At that time I had a lathe with a 1" x 8 tpi spindle and I was able to pick up a bolt from a local supplier.
    2012-08-04_16-03-024.jpg2012-08-04_16-04-010.jpg
    I have since purchased a new lathe which has a 1 1/4" x 8 tpi spindle (and have changed all my chuck over to match). So I need to cut off the old bolt and weld on a new one. My local supplier doesn't carry a 1 1/4" x 8, but they said they could custom make one for $53.00 (that's for a 2" long bolt!). So I asked if they could get in a short piece of threaded rod of the right size, after checking their supplier they said they could order in a 3' section for $48.00! That's about 46" more than I need and about $40.00 too much.

It doesn't need to be high grade since the only purpose is to hold the chuck while I'm using my Foredom reciprocating carver, and a rod would work just as easily as a bolt.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

McMaster Carr

Yes, McMaster Carr has a 6" rod for $5.61. Item number 98750A685.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3164/=kbi3e1
    Shipping is usually quite reasonable.

Paul

Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Kathy, As the others have said, McMaster Carr is a great source. They're fast and reliable. I used 1-1/4 x 8 threaded rod from them a few years back for a threading jig for turned lidded boxes and it worked great.
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks everyone! Just ordered one from McMasters.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Looks like you have it covered. Another option with a local presence in most areas is Fastenal. Sometimes it helps to be able to see what you are getting in person.