Thread: Help Moving and/or Milling a Very Large Log

Help Moving and/or Milling a Very Large Log

Hello all!

It's been a very long time since I've been on here and very much hoping to continue snoop around. Right now I could use your help.

I've access to a 32" diameter by 8' long, beautifully clear white oak log. I either would like to safely move it to my house where I will have it milled some time in the future or find someone to mill it on site. I've already moved several smaller pieces that will become firewood. These things were incredibly heavy and have not been able to come up with a safe solution on moving the big one and I won't cut it on principal!!

I'm in the Boston area and would love to get it done before the snow flies. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

The easiest way would be to have a wrecker service (one of those with the tilting bed) haul it to your home.

If you have a utility trailer, you can also parbuckle it onto the trailer and to offload, just chain it to something solid and drive out from underneath it. Google "parbuckling logs" to see pics and a demonstration of the process. (the best I found was on another forum so I can't link to it)

Another option would be to have someone mill it where it is now.

BTW,a 32" diameter x 8' White Oak log will weigh app. 2,900 lbs.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I use a car trailer to move logs home. I use a couple of 2x8's about 6' long, and park the trailer along the log parallel. Then I roll the log back and hook a log chain to the trailer in 2 places and use the boards as ramps. Then I roll the log onto the chain, pulled to a V shape from the trailer so the log is sitting at the point of the V. Then I hook another chain onto the V and go over the top of the log to the other side of the trailer, where I hook it to the hitch of my truck. Pull the chain tight with the truck and then give it the gas and pull the log onto the trailer. My trailer has rails about a foot high, and don't even need to chain the log once it is loaded, as it can't roll off. Usually I load the trailer full, then drive home and take them off with my skidsteer forks.

Hi Joe,

There is a guy over in Framingham that has a mill, but you have to bring it to him. He charges 0.40 to $0.50 per bd ft.

Then a guy up in New Hampshire just over the line. Again though, I think you need to bring it to him.

Finally is a mill in Boxborough that has picked up trees from others I know... but they just wanted to tree gone so he got it for free. Dont know if you could work a deal with him or not. Will send you a pm with the contact info I have.