Thread: North Carolina suppliers

North Carolina suppliers

I'll be headed to Asheville later this week for a meeting and will be looking to pick up some turning blanks, burls, etc. We don't have any local suppliers in my area that I know of (Southern Indiana). I've ordered blanks from various suppliers that have been mentioned on the Creek in the past, but it's nice to lay eyes on the pieces first, when possible. I purchased from Cormark near Asheville in the past and intend to pay them another visit. Does anybody have any other suggestions for turning blank suppliers in the Asheville area? I know Cormark sells some burls by weight. Any suggestions on purchasing that way? It's hard to know if it's a good deal or not.

Not sure if you are going to be anywhere near Raleigh, but NC Wood is just outside of there in Wendell. I have done a lot of business online with Gary, and stopped in this summer when I was in the state to avoid shipping. He usually has some great stuff and great deals. http://www.ncwood.com

Eric, I sent you a PM about some blanks.
    Sparky Paessler

Not sure how far away Mike Smith is http://www.centurytreeturnings.com/. I have bought a lot of wood from him and always satisfied with every piece. I had the pleasure of meeting Mike and go thru his entire inventory. He told me if the wood has cracks or looks bad it goes in the burn pile.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm always one to suggest Mike Smith as well (need to get out to see him soon) but he is nearly four hours from Asheville. Check out Asheville Hardware...it's right on the edge of downtown and they'll have some need stuff to look at, including some turning blanks. Also, don't forget to check out the Folk Art Center on the parkway right outside of Asheville if you have time.

PS - Do yourself a favor at have breakfast at the Tupelo Honey Cafe. Thank me later.

Another nod to Mike Smith at Century Turnings. Met him at the Georgia Symposium and got a lot of good wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    I'll be headed to Asheville later this week for a meeting and will be looking to pick up some turning blanks, burls, etc. We don't have any local suppliers in my area that I know of (Southern Indiana). I've ordered blanks from various suppliers that have been mentioned on the Creek in the past, but it's nice to lay eyes on the pieces first, when possible. I purchased from Cormark near Asheville in the past and intend to pay them another visit. Does anybody have any other suggestions for turning blank suppliers in the Asheville area? I know Cormark sells some burls by weight. Any suggestions on purchasing that way? It's hard to know if it's a good deal or not.
    These two guys are brothers running a nice operation and I totally recommend them... http://www.turningblanks.net/servlet/StoreFront
    VincesWoodNWonders

Thanks, guys for the help. I'll check them all out. Purchasing some blanks and making some connections is a bit of light in my trip that would otherwise be 4 days of 8 hour meetings and evenings alone in a hotel.

One of the great pleasures of visiting Asheville restaurants is ordering the trout. I believe my record during a two day visit is three meals of trout. Good eatin.
    Gag, Ack, Barf - Bill the Cat

Thanks for the suggestion, Gene