Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with detail vector cutting through acrylic

Trouble with detail vector cutting through acrylic

Hello everyone,

We have been working with a lot of acrylic lately and are attempting to do some detailed cutting of monograms. They are small, approximately 1.5 inches x 1 inch and we are using a 'vine' type font that results in very thin pieces that need to be cut out of the acrylic. We've tried both 1/8" and 1/4" Cast acrylic and these fine pieces melt and deform if not vanish all together.

Is this a matter of the optics we have (basic 2.0 that came with the ULS 4.6) or are there some tricks we can play with the settings to reduce the melting? We did try multiple passes with reduced power but the result was not much different. If it is an optics issue, would the ULS High Power Density Focusing Optics make a big difference in the amount of detail we can cut?

Thanks for the input!
    JM
    New Owner April 2012
    ULS VLS 4.60 50W

You have simply gone beyond the limits of what can be done with a laser. When the beam cuts and then passes too close on the next cut the plastic will melt. Even if it worked, the pieces are too fragile to work with. You have to choose your fonts/logos and sizes carefully.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe,
    That was exactly what I said when we were struggling with it. Then I started googling the topic and came across this picture of a snowflake laser cut out of acrylic. Of course there were no details on how it was done. The lines we are trying to cut are not any thinner than this example. If we could cut this, then we could pull off the monograms we are working on. I'm only guessing, but looking at the size and thickness of this snowflake, had we cut it using our ULS settings, the thin straight lines would certainly have melted.

Here is a link to the post I was looking at:
    bostonlasers.com/laser-cutting-blog/bid/52664/Tis-the-Season-for-Laser-Cut-Acrylic-Snow-Flakes
    Last edited by Mike Null; 11-27-2012 at 6:53 AM. Reason: removed link to blog
    New Owner April 2012
    ULS VLS 4.60 50W

Joel, my suggestion is to go into Corel and change the colors around. Make it 2 or 3 color outlines. Don't put the same color next to each other. The heat from cutting the same lines next to each other can cause problems. If you can make it cut one line, move to another part of the piece, and cut something else. So essentially, it'll cut, move to another area, cut, move to another area, cut, then change color and come back to the first area, cut, move, cut, etc.

What you're doing is using the color mapping to make it cut sections further apart than it normally would.

I did a job like that recently and when not skipping around, it was frying the material bad. When skipping around, it cut clean and looked fine and stayed flat.

I hope I said it clear enough to understand.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Did you try turning up the air assist?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Hi
    I think first you have to clean your mirrors and the lense,adjust your beam that it is dead center on all four corners of the table.
    then make the line test ( meaning: a piece of wood on the table and lay on one end a piece of 1/2 inch) then engrave a line.
    after this look where the line is the thinnest, measure the distance from the laser head to the material there thats your foacal
    distance and for detailed cutting essential must be hold around all four corners of your table. people dont believe how much this
    brings. I cut 1/8 acrylic with my little machine 40W at 25mm/s power 25 to 30 % or 10 to 13mA
    greetings waltfl

I would suggest reducing your power and your ppi and making more than one pass if necessary. Others have said it--you may have a drawing with lines so close and fine that it takes too much heat to cut in one pass. There is no need to consider a shorter lens.

Next question, can you make do with 1/16" instead of 1/8"?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I think Scott has the solution to this one. I cut custom acrylic pickguards pretty often and I've found that allowing the material to cool, even for a few seconds will make a huge difference, it just takes some thought to make the artwork work properly for your piece.

Hi Scott,
    I completely understand what you are getting at, but this is taking three letters and welding them all together with a border, so I'm not sure how I could then break that up into separate colors.
    New Owner April 2012
    ULS VLS 4.60 50W

I don't know how much help this is, but I cut out a heart made of little hearts a while ago and the 1/8" acrylic is pretty thinly cut. I just used my usual settings (12sp/100p/5000fr), air assist at 10psi. Maybe your design has the lines too close together and a little tweaking will help. You don't mention your settings, but sometimes a small change in speed makes a big difference. For instance, I might cut something else from acrylic with a slower speed of 8 or 10. It's difficult to imagine what you have in mind, but I have a hard time thinking the pieces are any thinner than this.

cheers, dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 11-27-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

All good ideas here. 1/4" acrylic is pretty thick for the sort of cutting you see in the snowflakes. They appear to be cut in thin acrylic, which cuts very nicely, but its a very brittle material more suited for solid shapes. Those snowflakes would probably not survive a drop on a hardwood floor or mailing in a padded envelope. They are beautifully made however, and tree ornaments are traditionally fragile.

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to cut something like this on your machine. If you intend your monograms as jewelry like necklace pendant, try wearing one yourself a few days and see if it survives car seat belts etc.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Matteson View Post
    Hi Scott,
    I completely understand what you are getting at, but this is taking three letters and welding them all together with a border, so I'm not sure how I could then break that up into separate colors.
    Covert the font to curves and then break the curve apart (arrange, break curve apart).

It would look something like this, with all 3 colors having the same settings.

colormap.jpg
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

The end segments of the two thin inner curves that are green on both sides should be split into different colors (green and red, probably) to avoid cutting both sides together and risk melting the segments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

True Glen, about the time I was doing this, I got a "hey, I think I have a virus on my computer" interruption. Not the best thing to hear. Once I got all that straight, I just published it where I left off, hoping the concept would be understood, but you are exactly right, that's a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Covert the font to curves and then break the curve apart (arrange, break curve apart).
    Joel, Scott has the right idea but I'll elaborate a little . . . I assume you already have a closed curve as you are welding letters together. In any event you need to make it into curves. Once that is done, select the outline, then select a node with the shape tool in CorelDraw and right click. Select "break apart". (This breaks the curve at the node.) Then select the other end of the segment you want to isolate. Again, right click, "break apart". Finally do the arrange -> break curve apart. (This breaks the whole curve into separate pieces, at the selected nodes.) Now the selected segment is fully detached and you can change it's color.

You may still need to sort your vectors by moving them front or back on a layer so they cut in the required order. Usually we sort so vectors close to each other cut together, but you will do just the opposite to avoid the heat build up.