Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for the pen turners

A question for the pen turners

A couple of days ago I ordered this from PSI, #2 MT Pen Mandrel Saver Package

Item #: PKMS2SET

I also ordered some pen kits to make for christmas presents. The question is, is this all I will need to turn pens? Other then wood of course. If there is anything else I will need, or that you could recommend please let me know.

You will need the bushings for the specific pen kits that you ordered. They are normally listed on the same page as the kits themselves. This will allow you to know what size to turn the pen down to.

Edit: You will also need the proper size drill bit to drill out the blank so that you can put it on the mandrel. As well as CA glue, finishes, tools, sandpaper, etc.
    Last edited by Marty Eargle; 11-26-2012 at 8:27 PM. Reason: Additional Info

I will assume that you are already a turner and have a lathe and turning tools.

The "set" that you ordered gives you most of what you need to turn Slimline style pens. If the pen sets you purchased weren't SLs then you will need to get appropriate bushings(the small metal cylinders that come on the mandrel you purchased). Each style of pen has it's on set of bushings. You may also need finishing supplies unless you plan on using something you already have. Give us more detail on your previous turning experience or lack of and you can give you more detailed answers.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    I will assume that you are already a turner and have a lathe and turning tools.

The "set" that you ordered gives you most of what you need to turn Slimline style pens. If the pen sets you purchased weren't SLs then you will need to get appropriate bushings(the small metal cylinders that come on the mandrel you purchased). Each style of pen has it's on set of bushings. You may also need finishing supplies unless you plan on using something you already have. Give us more detail on your previous turning experience or lack of and you can give you more detailed answers.
    Thanks for your reply, I have just about everything I might need for turning, tools, sanding disks/pads, all of the basics. I thought it might be nice to try out pens as gifts for the holidays. I did order a 6 pack of slim line pen kits from PSI as well. But never having done pens before I didnt know if there might be anything else, like bushings, that I might need. If so, I would like to order it now before its to late to get done for the holidays.

Marty addressed drill bits.
    Another item is a way to square the ends of the barrels before turning them. Typically it is done with a pen mill but it can also be done on the lathe if you have a chuck(collet or scroll) or on a sander with a jig to ensure a right angle.

You should not need to order separate slimline bushings, a set of three come with the mandrel you ordered. We will think of something else in a minute or two lol.

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Marty addressed drill bits.
    Another item is a way to square the ends of the barrels before turning them. Typically it is done with a pen mill but it can also be done on the lathe if you have a chuck(collet or scroll) or on a sander with a jig to ensure a right angle.

You should not need to order separate slimline bushings, a set of three come with the mandrel you ordered. We will think of something else in a minute or two lol.
    Thanks James, the mandrel I ordered comes with the 7mm drill bit as well. I did not know about having to square the ends of the barrels though, good info thank you!

You'll need a way to press the parts together too. Several options like a vise, pipe clamp. pen press. With slims, tranny depth is critical...1/16" is the difference between gift and fire pit! Although a lot of discussion exists, thick CA is great for gluing tubes in.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    You'll need a way to press the parts together too. Several options like a vise, pipe clamp. pen press. With slims, tranny depth is critical...1/16" is the difference between gift and fire pit! Although a lot of discussion exists, thick CA is great for gluing tubes in.
    While reading past threads here on SMC I saw a post by someone that said how they use the pen from a door hinge in a drill press to press the tubes in, I thought I would give that a try.

PSI has posted a video showing the basic steps on you-tube. Might want to look there for more information.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Mann View Post
    While reading past threads here on SMC I saw a post by someone that said how they use the pen from a door hinge in a drill press to press the tubes in, I thought I would give that a try.
    I would op for something softer like a hard plastic dowel, something like UHMW or nylon. I used my drill press for a while and it works great but you will need something to hold your barrels vertical when pressing in the parts.

If you are really serious about making pens check out the library over on the IAP(International Association of Penturners) penturners dot org. The libray starts out with "Pen making 101".

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Mann View Post
    I use a quarter inch carriage head bolt in the DP... works just fine.
    Mick

When you order also order the free pen making DVD from them also.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

When you are making your blanks:
    Drill from the center of the pen to the ends. This way, your drill bit is in the center of the blank, if it wanders, the grain at the center of the pen will still match up. You will need a drill press or tailstock drill chuck to drill your blanks. If you use a drill press, you will need something to hold the blank vertical. Not your hands or pliers.
    Use a sharpie and mark the inside of the barrel at the center of the blanks, so you know which ends go in the center. Do NOT mark the blank, you will never sand out the mark.

The above 2 items gave me the most trouble before I figured them out. 3 if you count holding the blank with pliers. I learned that one pretty quick though.
    Last edited by Kyle Iwamoto; 11-27-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: site does not like the apostrophe

There is a great forum for pen turning that will offer lots of advice, suggestions etc: www.penturners.org

Thank you to all that have responded here, and the help you have provided me, I will go look for the PSI video now.

EDIT - I just finished watching the PSI video, now I am even more excited for my kit to arrive so that I can start. But while watching the video I had a thought, I am sure there is a perfectly good reason why most dont do it this way but if I dont ask I wont know what the reason is. Rather then use a drill press or other method to press the tubes into the blanks, could I use my tail stocks live center, with a wood turned cover over it, to press the brass tube into the wood blank while holding it in my talon chuck? I have turned many different sizes of wooden covers to fit over my live center for various uses in the past, would something similar work here?
    Last edited by Timothy Mann; 11-27-2012 at 9:16 PM.