Thread: Reversed the Urchin

Reversed the Urchin

I turned the urchin upside down on this one relative to the previous one. I think it looks good and doesn't show the sway of the saddle so bad. I also cut a long 1/4" tenon on the finial cap that goes all the way through the urchin, this is similar to the 1/4 dowel that was suggested by poster over on the IAP. This allowed me to have something to glue the icicle onto and not have to worry about it lining up with the finial cap.

This one is pink with plum wood. The plum has some pinkish veining running through it, thought it would be a good match. As with the previous the finish is CA as a primer/sealer then a coat of Deft gloss lacquer over the entire ornament. The complete ornament is about 4.5" with a diameter of 1-7/8". The urchin is only about 7/8" thick same as the previous.

ORN009.jpg

C&C welcomed.
    Last edited by James Combs; 11-27-2012 at 3:54 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

Those are so delicate!! Great job on the color selection J.D., looks good from here!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Pretty ornament. Love the color of the wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice JD. I'll have to try the lacquer over CA - never tried that before and it looks good!
    mj

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Those are so delicate!! Great job on the color selection J.D., looks good from here!
    Thanks Jim, the color similarity is even better in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Pretty ornament. Love the color of the wood.
    Thanks Bernie, a friend of mine cut down a medium to large size plum three this summer(at the height of growth season) and gave me a lot of it or rather I picked up a lot of it out of his burn pile. Anyway it was very wet and a lot of the bowl blanks I cut have split but there are a few good ones and lots of material for little stuff. It has pink to purple veins running all through it. Some great looking wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
    Very nice JD. I'll have to try the lacquer over CA - never tried that before and it looks good!
    mj
    Thanks Michael, it works for me. Because the CA is for the most part instant drying I can seal an item, lightly sand it, then finish coat it in a matter of minutes.

"The best things in life are not things."