Thread: dining table with pics

dining table with pics

This table kinda just happened out of need for a table and me not wanting to glue a bunch of wood together and join it. I'm glad I have a small dining room. Sorry for the lack of photo quality. Didn't have the digital.

I ended up spacing the planks with a thin seam between each (less than 1/8"). The table top is Santos Mahogany, base is Honduras. The little square plugs (over fastenings) are Cocobolo. The finish is Behrs Rock Hard table finish which I eventually rubbed out (pumice/rottenstone) and then waxed.

My laziness has allowed for gobs of expansion/contraction of the top without warping and allows you to appreciate the individual grain patterns without the glue seam telling you the grain pattern is interupted.

Cheers,

KP
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's really nice, Kent! Perfect for the job and wonderfully executed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

excellent work.. nice idea about spacing the boards as you have. it looks like it is quite functional

lou

Looks like your laziness didn't effect the quailtity of the finish. Very nice job.

Richard

Kent....I like the simple lines and the finish! Great job!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Kent,

There are some very nice aspects to the design...I like the "float" detail at the leg. The Krenov subtle curve leg... The arched stretcher...it has consistent elements that support a great design. Santos is a fragrant wood..."insence" wood isa another name. Many people have alergies to it. You should not have expansion problems....excellent finish.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Kent, I really like that table! All of the outdoor tables are built with gaps in them, so why not an indoor! Nice execution!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Very nice table, like the subtle curves in the design, the wood is beautiful, the spaces in the top do not detract in the least, and that finish is eye popping.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Beautiful work Kent! I love the finish you put on...very nice!

Kent,

Just beautiful!! I want that apron/leg assembly - those gentle curves. My goodness! Are they hard to do? And the top - it looks like you could swim in the finish!

Not having done much table work (yet), I'm wondering - from a design perspective - if another element could be included. Would applying those gentle curves to the top be inappropriate for a dining table?

Sorry to hijack.

Again - stunning work.

-joe

Thanks for all the nice comments.

John,

The legs are straight on the two inside surfaces so cutting the two curved sides is easily done on the band saw. I finished up the cut surfaces with a compass plane. The top could have curves but I was trying for simplicity in design and build.

Mark,

Yes Santos Mahogany (also called Cabreuva) is a very stable wood. It is also very dense, hard on tools, can be "brittle" if your working with a graining piece. A bit heavy. I guess it smells like other mahoganies though not unpleasent.

When designing the table I clamped a board to a couple of saw horses to see how far past the apron I could allow the planks to be unsupported. The design really dictates a hard/stable wood. The Santos was really a joy to work with because of its luster. Its a simple design that allows the wood to speak without "interference".

I had one small area of crazy grain that just did not want to be delt with so I filed it out, sanded it smooth and it has become one the happier points of the table. When a guest is at the table it becomes a "finger rest" and lets them take part in the table in a little different manner. This little spot has become "highly polished" due to its popularity. As I mentioned the table has been rubbed out and waxed so now has a semi gloss luster to it and is very slippery.

Cheers,

KP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kent Parker; 04-25-2005 at 10:15 AM.

Lookin GOOD