Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet saw choice.

Allyn, WA (beautiful upper left corner of the US)

Cabinet saw choice.

I have just sold my 30 year old Delta table saw and I am thinking of replacing it with a Grizzly G1023RL. Riving knife, dust collection and price are what brought me to this point. Good choice or bad?

If you are looking at the lower end table saws, then you've made a good choice.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the creek John,

I agree with Montgomery. If cost is the priority then Grizzly would be the place to go. If you need more than 1 tool Grizzly especially looks good.

Personally, I have a Unisaw and it's a good saw.

I don't think I've ever seen a negative comment from the owner of a Powermatic PM-2000.

You might also consider a Sawstop. From everything I've read they are fine saws not counting the extra safety feature.

I think all these saws would serve you well.

Good luck with your decision.

PHM

IMHO. that, or the grizzly 0691, are both very good choices. the 0691 is a modern day clone of the older unisaw, right down to the trunion design. when wood magazine last tested cabinet saws, the griz units were the top value winners. in the higher price range (+$2500), the delta unisaw and the sawstop PCS were the winners. also, steel city tool works is having a sale through year end:

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pd...all_lowres.pdf

the 35965 and 35975 are on sale for $1300 and $1400, respectively, and they carry a ive year guaranty. they can be purchased through home depot online and HD will match the sale price. and buying through HD includes deferred billing and free home delivery.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-27-2012 at 4:56 PM.

Second on the Steel City. I have the 35965GR and love it. It's a great saw and great value for the money.

I think it is a good choice. I have a 1023, right tilt, 5hp 3ph and I have been very pleased with it. Easy to set up, holds adjustments, DC works well, etc. Mine does not have the riving knife so I can't comment on that aspect.

I would buy it again unless I was going to spend the money for a Sawstop and their technology.

Mike

I replaced a 40 year old Unisaw with a G1023RL and couldn't be happier.

I have a 1023RLX with riving knife. Saw was easy to set up and has performed very well.

Also a Steel City owner, for the last 7 years.
    Nice saw, and warranty.
    They were designed by Delta engineers that jumped ship to Orion.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The G1023 is a nice saw, so is the G0691. I have had both, and a unisaw, both the Grizzly saws are equal the others in all but the most minute aspects. Not sure I agree with these saws being low end, I leave that to the contractor saws, as I see most cabinet saws being "high end."

Allyn, WA (beautiful upper left corner of the US)
    Thank you all. I hadn't ever considerd Steel City - looks to good to be true but I'm sure leaning that way. Built in mobile base, 110 v, free delivery and approx $100 less than Grizzly. That adds up to nearly $400 counting the $100 it would cost to run another 220v line in the shop.

Incredibly pleased with my G1023RL.

The G1023RL is $1294 to your door, which is the best deal on a new 3hp industrial cabinet saw that I'm aware of.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

If I had $1500 to spend on a TS I'd either buy from Grizzly, find low mileage US-made Unisaw based on the fact that parts are rarely needed and plentiful in the used market, or save until I had another $1500 and buy a Sawstop not only for the obvious reason but because its a really nicely made saw.

I just don't trust someone like Steel City or the new Delta are going to last despite the fact they have some nice stuff.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    If you are looking at the lower end table saws, then you've made a good choice.

I don't think they are "LOWER END" I own a Grizzly GO690...........................I would say it's rather HIGH END

JEFF